Mandrel size ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Berea is the only manufacturer that requires a larger mandrel for some of their kits( called a B mandrel). PSI and CSU both only use 7mm. That being said people have reported in the past that PSI 7mm mandrel is a slightly different size than the Berea and CSU.

Pipes

I bought the adjustable Wooddraft madrel and it seems to work well ! thou I don't have a lot of extra bushings to use as ase spacers so I have to adj it for each kit ! a small PITA !! Do they make just spacer bushings anyone[?] ???

Pipes

Originally posted by vick
<br />Berea is the only manufacturer that requires a larger mandrel for some of their kits( called a B mandrel). PSI and CSU both only use 7mm. That being said people have reported in the past that PSI 7mm mandrel is a slightly different size than the Berea and CSU.

So I would assume to use berea kits buy there mandrels ???[?]

vick

The woodcraft mandrel should work fine for CSU and Berea 7mm kits.
I bought some alluminum spacer at home depot they were in the little bins in the screws and nails aisle.

Randy_

Originally posted by vick<br />Berea is the only manufacturer that requires a larger mandrel for some of their kits( called a B mandrel).

Until about a half hour ago, I would have agreed with you, Vick. But I was just researching a different problem and was looking at the Rockler web site. They are advertising a <b>10 MM MANDREL</b>???

Never heard of that before?? I am going to start a new thread and see if anyone else knows anything about this?? Maybe it is just an error in their web site?? Who knows??

Daniel

after over three years turning pens. i learned a new things about mandrels just a couple of weeks ago.
Woodcraft sells Berea kits. but does not support the B Mandrel.
so there bushings will fit the 7mm mandrel from P.S.I. and CSUSA no matter how large the pen is.
A 10mm mandrel from P.S.I. woudl be a great Idea though. hope CSUSA catches on.
I realize that different size mandrels makes everyting more complicated. but it would also help make better quality pens.
How does a 10mm mandrel measure up to the Berea B mandrel?

airrat

Some of the Berea kits take a "B" mandrel with "B" bushings, For example the churchill takes a B mandrel with 16B bushings. What I did was buy an "A" and a "B" mandrel with one 2MT Arbor. I just change it out as needed.

Edited to say, I like the "B" mandrel for its stability, I never have to worry about it bending like the A's.

Rudy Vey

The "B" mandrel is much more rigid than the "A" mandrel. Although the diameter is only slightly larger, what counts towards the rigidity is the increase of the cross-sectional area. The increase from A to B is 37%, or in more simpler terms more than a third more.
I try to always use the B mandrel and B bushings. If not available, the A bushings can be opened up a bit to make them fit the B mandrel.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Pipes
<br />I bought the adjustable Wooddraft madrel and it seems to work well ! thou I don't have a lot of extra bushings to use as ase spacers so I have to adj it for each kit ! a small PITA !! Do they make just spacer bushings anyone[?] ???
You can make your own. I've used aluminum tubing, delrin and even a piece of hardwood I've turned down. Just drill a 1/4" hole through it and you're ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom