Mandrel savors, Any one ever use them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

I ordered one and it came today. I have been having a bit of trouble with the mandrel on my lathe and having to increase the pressure to keep the blank to stick, in other words when I try to turn it the blank seems like it isn't tight enough on the mandrel. I was worried about ruining the point on the dead center or live center or what ever it is called so I bought a mandrel saver. I haven't tried it as yet and will get back to my lathe in a week or two. My shop is over at my sister's house so I will get back there for Christmas. Just curious about the mandrel saver and does it work? Fay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Personally, I don't think your problem is with your mandrel. I think your problem is with your bushings not touching the brass tubes but coming in contact with the wood instead of the end of the tubes. Or, the ends of the blanks are not squared and not enough wood is in contact with the bushings. Check these two conditions.

Mandrel savers...anyone use them? The answer is yes, many of use do. I like using mine and think they are nice tools and work well...at least for me. Others will disagree and will report just the opposite.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

wyone

I use a mandrel saver and LOVE it for the fast changes I can make without threading and unthreading the brass nut. I am however not sure the bearings in the mandrel saver are the best as I have noticed some heat on the bearing itself. I looked for a better quality mandrel saver but did not find a lot of choices out there

VirgilJ

Do yourself a favor and skip the mandrel saver. I have one and thought it was an improvement over a standard mandrel, but I now turn between centers and measure my blanks with calipers. You don't need bushings, you don't have to worry about bent mandrels, and you don't have to worry about out of round turnings. The improvement in my pens has been dramatic!

hippi

I have one I like it Ido believe that it can be improved like a snaring to hold the cup on or alittle more meat on the back side so when knocking it out with the knock outrod

I had to epoxy the cap back on

Dan Masshardt

I have one I like it Ido believe that it can be improved like a snaring to hold the cup on or alittle more meat on the back side so when knocking it out with the knock outrod I had to epoxy the cap back on

Take a look at the craftsupplies model.

If I was still turning with a mandrel, I'd surely buy that one to try.

Mortalis

I have one I like it Ido believe that it can be improved like a snaring to hold the cup on or alittle more meat on the back side so when knocking it out with the knock outrod I had to epoxy the cap back on

Take a look at the craftsupplies model.

If I was still turning with a mandrel, I'd surely buy that one to try.
I didnt see a mandrel saver on the craft supplies website. They list two mandrels, the apprentise with the brass nut and the adjustable (still with a brass nut).
I alternate between TBC and brass nut mandrel depending on my mood actually. I dont overtighten the brass nut and only bring the tailstoc center in tight enough that I cannot stop the center from turning while the lathe is running.

dartman

I got a mandrel saver a few years back as a gift from my wife.I try to use it now and again but still like using the brass nut.It's a nice tool but I just like the nut and have never had a problem with a bowed shaft.I guess I'm just not used to it.

Top Bottom