mandrel saver problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I recently purchased a tailstock pen mandrel saver from PSI.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMSTS2.html?mybuyscid=12625137985

Not faulting PSI, others may sell this item, I just don't know.
It seems [seemed?] like a great idea that was overdue. However, while trying the first time I was not able to secure the blanks tight enough to turn. Even with the tailstock cranked down fairly securely the blank would still just stop when a tool was applied to it.
A friend who tried this item found he had to crank down ridiculously hard to do turnings with it. And in doing so, he ruined the bearings.
I recall posts here about the bearings going bad with this item.
Now, I'm wondering if it was bad bearings or just a completely bad design idea.
Input and experiences are sought.

(hope this is right forum, others didn't seem to be just the right fit)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob73

I bought the mandrel saver as well. I thought it was a perfect idea. I have the same issue with having to tighten the tail stock far beyond what I think it should be and still received some spin. I've looked on line before and found some other turners were having problems and some of them came with bad bearings. Furthermore that warning not to use a knockout I find a little ridiculous there is no way you're getting it off of there without knocking it out when you have to apply so much pressure.

I think I'm going to look into turning pens between centers and picking up some delrin finish bushings.

yorkie

I use the mandrel saver and can sometimes get it to work without applying too much pressure however, I look at it more as a better way to secure the mandrel than pressing a regular tailstock against it and I'm happy with it for that use.

Rob73

A little update :

After this thread I decided I would go review the saver on PSI site =-- I gave a little trashing :
I received my saver a few months ago and put it right to work. First thing I noticed was the warning not to use a knock out to remove the saver from tail stock.. I did not think much of it at first. However, this will become a problem later on.

I noticed immediately that it took a large amount of cranking on the tail stock to secure the blanks and then you will still have an issue with the blank stopping to spin once you put a tool to it. If you are one to read the turning forums you will see this is common issue.

Having to crank down so hard in an attempt to secure the blanks also causes two other issues. 1.) It will wear out the bearings (another issue you will see on the turning forums). 2.) It will be extremely difficult to remove the saver without using the knock out.

So in the end the saver mandrel did not save me any time. It's now sitting in the 'thought it was a good idea' junk drawer.
In about 5 minutes after submitting the review I received this :

Hi,
we've improved the design to fix the problems you encountered ....
new style has no front bushing (to knock out) and a smaller opening making

it easier to knock out without backing it out of your tailstock.
I'll be happy to replace the old one ... just call customer
service and they'll arrange for a replacement.

It had a picture attached of the new version. So if you have the older type looks like they will replace it for you. So I'm going to call and try out the version 2.0

glycerine

A little update :

After this thread I decided I would go review the saver on PSI site =-- I gave a little trashing : In about 5 minutes after submitting the review I received this :

Hi,
we've improved the design to fix the problems you encountered ....
new style has no front bushing (to knock out) and a smaller opening making

it easier to knock out without backing it out of your tailstock.
I'll be happy to replace the old one ... just call customer
service and they'll arrange for a replacement.

It had a picture attached of the new version. So if you have the older type looks like they will replace it for you. So I'm going to call and try out the version 2.0

Good deal. It's good to see that they are replacing it for you. Hopefully this one works better.

Rob73

They were very nice and just offered to replace mine too! Awesome, maybe the new one will work the way I had hoped the old one did.

Yeah just called customer service. Woman verified I received the email from Ed.. Had to pay shipping (which I think is b.s. but o.k.). I know their shipping is notoriously slow so next couple weeks I"ll post back if version 2.0 is any better.

BTW Yorkie -- Your signature url is says blogspot but is actually going to yourshirewoodwrite.com which is a dead page.

renowb

Now is the link you sent the new version? The pic looks like the newer version. but I recall someone else having problems and was replaced by the one you linked to. Is there a 3rd version. Just wondering because I have the catalog earmarked to buy one. But now, I will wait to see if this new version is better.

Rob73

Now is the link you sent the new version? The pic looks like the newer version. but I recall someone else having problems and was replaced by the one you linked to. Is there a 3rd version. Just wondering because I have the catalog earmarked to buy one. But now, I will wait to see if this new version is better.

The one I have definitely does not look like the one that is on the penstate site now. I would imagine my version was the first one released.

Mark

I have one of the originals. No problems to date. I guess I'll just bide me time and hope for the best.

Top Bottom