Mandrel saver issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsmithmarcus

I bought a mandrel saver from PSI. I seem to get more vibration from this than from my regular mandrel. Has anyone else had this problem or maybe know a remedy. I am new to this so any advice would be great!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

Sorry I can't help you on this. I've been using the PSI mandrel saver for about 2 years now with no issues.

KenV

I have one that started out a bit rough -- was thinking about returning it and retried it and it worked smoothly.

Check to be sure the Morse Taper in you tailstock is clean. One small chip will cause the live center to seat off center a bit and cause vibration. (been there and done that).

could be defected such as bent rod or too large hole. Adjust the lathe speed little lower might help.

Marc

I take it you did not notice any issues when your live center was in the tailstock? Sometimes the quill can have issues with the tightening handle getting out of the groove in the quill. If that were the case, you would notice issues with anything you put in the tail stock.

Otherwise the advice about cleaning out the morse taper makes sense, and finally, it could be defective as another poster pointed out.

PSI will likely exchange it for you.

carlmorrell

Mine was noisy. I just bought a new lathe & mandrel saver. Turned out the headstock needed alignment with the tailstock. (pun intended). Now all is quiet:rolleyes:

Top Bottom