MANDREL SAVER Fell Apart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Mandrel Saver from Penn State and today when I went to remove it from the mandrel, it fell apart. The silver metal pieve that the mandrel fits into came right out and when you put it back it sinks deep into the unit. There is a tiny O ring in it that deteriorated.

I only sent for it on May 24 and have only stated turning for the summer this past week. It was great while it lasted. I turned exactly 12 pens on it.

I called Penn State but they are closed today.

Has this happened to anyone else??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Yep look at my post, http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64266 , they have a new design now. I would call them tomorrow and see if they will swap out for the new design. I am just going to buy the new one instead of trying to hassle with a swap since they sent me a new one a couple weeks back for that same issue. Of course the replacement did it too but I had some spare O rings thanks to my fellow turner. If you have any of the 10mm secret compartment keychains, the O ring that comes with those I think might be the same size as what you need. But like I said I plan to get me the new one and go from there.

Last edited:

Allenk

I've turned 12 or 15 pens with the Mandrel Saver. It's done a fine job so far.

Can't you purchase the same size O ring at an Auto Parts Store?

snyiper

Once you get the right size o-ring Lowes may have it locally or online like McMaster-carr.com or allorings.com they can be ordered in smallish quanities. I know this is not a repair but it will keep you going. You may even try different durometer orings and get something harder like a Vitron or Teflon that will last much longer. They have excellent charts on the sites to help you choose.

Top Bottom