Mandrel Saver -- deal or dud?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyb

Hi. Buying my first MT1 Mandrel for my cheapie lathe (first time pen maker)

I'm deciding if I should get the Pen Mandrel Saver too ? or is it just another unneeded add-on ? Or, does it really make a difference (perform better, help system last longer, etc....)

Any hands on thoughts?

Thanks !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwhatch

I just turned my first pen with the PSI Mandrel Saver. I was just getting online to talk about it when I found your post. I must say, if you are not turning between centers, this is a definite plus. I love it, now I wonder how I managed without it. I turn most single body pens between centers, plus all off my sanding and finishing. I prefer to use a mandrel with a two body pen. I think the Mandrel Saver is the best $17.00 if have spent so far.

Morton

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This weekend I plan to make a youtube showing an alternative made by a member, from Milwaukee.

Take a look at it--it's simple and works well.

jmbaker79

big improvement over not using one! picked mine up from klingspore awhile back. It isnt a tight fit to the mandrel though so I assume it would allow the mandrel to turn oor a tad, but the tailstock pressure prob. eliminates this. I have on occasion had the mandrel spin out of the taper, and since you cant see the mandrel, it just spins inside the saver, and takes a little while to figure out what the horrible noise coming from the lathe may be. Just ordered my dead and live center for tbc tonight, so soon it will collect a little dust. Wouldnt use a mandrel without it though!

Tage

It's the only way I've turned pens, so I can't compare it to a 60 degree live center......but I've been extremely happy with it.

Top Bottom