mandrel rods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fatstrat

Good day,
I was just browsing through the stuff that jcollazo turncrafts has to offer, and it brought up a question. Are the mandrel rod threads that screw into the morse taper universal? My mandrel came from CSUSA with an A size rod and i would like to get a few spares along with some B size, but im not sure if i have to get a different morse taper or if the ones that are on the turncrafts site will fit the one i have. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

If I am reading this correctly your mandrel screws into a hole in the morse taper as well as has treads for the nut on the tailstock end? If that is what I am understanding than a B mandrel is going to be larger than the A and if the morse taper is tapped for an A then the B won't fit.

Now if the mandrel is held in by a collet like mine was from csusa then I don't see a problem with it fitting (it was a adjustable mandrel).

Boy that was a mouth full.

jcollazo

The mandrel rods I make are for use with a collet chuck like the Beall or PSI. The rods are threaded only on one end for the thumbnut. The other end is smooth.

As far as the threads being universal on the tapers... I really couldn't tell you. I have only taper and it hasn't been used in 2 years.

Paul in OKC

Most of the latest ones will be the same for either size mandrel, 1/4-28. Some old mandrels are a smaller thread. I have one that is one of the first ones I had, and it is a 10-32 thread. The morse taper is reamed for the 'D' size mandrel about 1/4" deep, and the smaller thread is down in there. I like that because the madrel locates more on the diameter than just relying on the threads to be concentric (although most are).

Top Bottom