Mandrel Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPD_Mrs

OK after turning 50 or so pens and other items, I have come to the conclusion that I have a very slight bend in my mandrel. More than likely from the first few pens I tuned as I used a lot of presure when sanding and finishing. At least that is what I think happened based on reading many pages on this forum. I will have a pen that is flush on one side of the nib, cap or center ban and on the other side it is 1/64th too big and sticks out a little proud. I have learned to get rid of this by sanding with the grain on the high ends.

So the point of this post is this....
Is there one mandrel better than another? Are there some cheap imports that are not perfectly straight? How about the adjustable mandrel from CSA? Or since I am wanting to get a couple of closed end mandrels should I just order the ones from AS when I order the closed end ones?

Would appreciate any insight from the members. I want something that is good quality now that I know a little more of what I am doing.

Thanks Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Just my opinion but I think the replacement mandrels Joe Collazo sells here are the best.
If you've got a pro adjustable mandrel system, just get his replacements. [8D]

stevers

You can straighten a mandrel also. If it isn't bent to bad, it's quite easy. I picked up a new mandrel and still did a tune up on it. Now it's "very" accurate.
Russ Fairfield has a tutorial on his site for straightening a bent mandrel. That's where I learned to do it. It's on a page in "woodturning Stuff, bottom of page, Making a pen, bottom of page, Mandrel page 2. I have the link but I don't have Russ's permission to post it. It isn't too hard to find. Look for Russ in the members list.
Good luck to you.

IPD_Mrs

Thanks Steve, I found the informations on Russ' web site with ease thanks to your directions. I have had his site bookmarked for some time now just have never found that bit of information. I will give his instructions a shot as I am just slightly out of round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom