mandrel question/problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

xmaddchillx

This has happened to the last 2 sets of blanks I turned...

The 1st blank goes on very easy and when using my gouge it tends to get stopped ( too loose on the mandrel )

and the 2nd blank is hard to push on, extremely tight and hard to get off. usually have to unscrew the rod and pull it off by hand.

Any ideas on what it could be? I guess I plan on buying a new mandrel this weekend. Doesnt really make sense since the 1st one has to slide past where the 2nd one goes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert Taylor

my guess would be that the second blank has glue inside the tube. i use a deburring tool to slightly chamfer the id of the tubes after squaring then i use a small caliber gun cleaning brush from walmart to clean the inside of the tubes before mounting on the mandrel. i'm assuming you are talking about slimlines.

ngeb528

I've recently been having problems with the tubes being too tight on the mandrel. I think the tubes are just a bit undersized since I've never had the problem before this.

Yes, we confirmed there wasn't any glue in the tube, even cleaned the inside of the tube with a bit that was 1 size under the 1/4" (which is the size of the mandrel bar) but it didn't help.

We take the 1/4" drill bit and open up the tube a bit when they don't fit right on the mandrel. It solves the problem, but be sure the blank is held tightly in a vice or use a thick glove to hold it because it likes to kick when you're trying to get the 1/4" drill bit to go through. You'd, also, better hope you did a good job gluing the tube into the blank.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom