Mandrel question:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

intillzah

I'm thinking about getting a mandrel, And I was wondering if I get one, am I locked into making pens that are only offered by that manufacturer?? I'm looking at a mandrel from Woodturningzs, but there are some kits from CSUSA and Berea that I would like to make later on as well..

I'm getting ready to make the plunge, I just need some advice on which way to go... :(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drayman

hi, i would get a A mandrel and a B mandrel then you can make any kit you like from any supplier

broitblat

There are generally two sizes of Mandrel. The "A" size, which is most likely what you'd be getting from WoodTurningz will work for everything Woodturning/PSI and CSUSA sells, I believe, and most of what Berea/Arizona Silhouette/Beartooth Woods sell. The slightly larger "B" mandrel is used only by a subset of the Berea kits (resold by AS and BW).

-Barry

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I am posting the same reply as to a similar question about bushings.

Unfortunately, there are variations in dimensions for similar kits from different sources. Sometimes it is only a couple 1/1000ths of an inch, but that can make a difference a good fit and a sloppy fit on the mandrel.

My advice for those starting out is to always buy everything from the same supplier, and stay away from the general retailers who may not be getting all of their kits and parts from the same source. If nothing else, you will know who to go to if there is a problem. Save the mixing and matching of parts until after you have made a few pens and accumulated a few additional tools, like the dial caliper that Ed suggests.

In otherwords, if you bought your kits from Wooodturningz, then get the mandrels and bushing from them as well. That way you will know everything will fit. A beginner can have enough problems with turning, sanding and finishing without adding things that don't fit to them.

randyrls

Originally posted by RussFairfield

Unfortunately, there are variations in dimensions for similar kits from different sources. Sometimes it is only a couple 1/1000ths of an inch, but that can make a difference a good fit and a sloppy fit on the mandrel.

<To join the Thread>
Russ; I have found that the Woodcraft and Berea "A" mandrels are slightly larger (.001+) than the Penn State Ind (PSI) mandrels and bushings. OR possibly the PSI mandrels are slightly smaller. Like you say, it isn't much but some of the PSI bushings are a tight fit on Woodcraft mandrels, and conversely, the Woodcraft and Berea bushings are a loose fit on the PSI mandrels.

Hope this helps......

Randy_

According to manufacturer's published specs, PSI "A" mandrels are 0.243" in diameter and Berea "A" mandrels are 0.245-0.247" in diameter. CSUSA mandrels are in between.

So Berea bushings could be a little loose on PSI mandrels and PSI bushings could be a little tight on Berea mandrels.

You can avoid buying a "B" mandrel by purchasing bushings from Woodcraft. They make their own bushings and the bushings that are normally required to be used with the "B" kits are drilled to fit on the "A" mandrel.

Top Bottom