Mandrel Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jusjoe

I'm am a newbie to pen turning and also posting on the internet, so I'll keep this short and sweet. When I purchased my mandrel from CSUSA their was a brass compression coupling in the bag. What is it's purpose ( Just a spacer) ? Do I need it all the time? Someday I'll get good enough to turn between centers. But for now this is as much as I can learn at one time. Thanks to all.

Joe:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Welcome Joe. I've never used the compression coupling that came with mine. BTW it doesn't take any extra skills or expereince to turn between centers. If you have a live center for the tailstock, a dead center for the headstock and bushings you are ready to go. Depending on the kit you are making you can even use the standard bushings. For slimlines and euros you need custom made bushings. For any kit with 'step' bushings you can use the ones you bought for the kit. Hvae fun.

Allenk

Hello, JusJoe, I don't know what the compression coupling could be for; I didn't get one with my mandrel.

Last edited:

its_virgil

Turning between centers using "standard" bushings will do no better than using a mandrel if the "standard" bushings are defective. I've had several sets of bushings during my penturning career that were quite defective. The hole for the mandrel was not concentric with the outer circumference of the bushing. This will cause the penblank to wobble whether using a mandrel or turning between centers with the defective "standard" bushings. So, using "standard" bushings will work if they are not defective....be sure to check them over.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Welcome Joe. BTW it doesn't take any extra skills or expereince to turn between centers. If you have a live center for the tailstock, a dead center for the headstock and bushings you are ready to go. Depending on the kit you are making you can even use the standard bushings. For slimlines and euros you need custom made bushings. For any kit with 'step' bushings you can use the ones you bought for the kit. Hvae fun.

Top Bottom