Mandrel Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAld

Back in Nov. there was a discussion on the collet chuck and collets concerning the A&B precision mandrels from Berea. Someone asked how to press the collar stop off. My question is why would you have to press it off? My "A" has 3/4" pass the stop and the "B" 5/8". How far into the collet do you have to go? I measured the inside of the 1/4" collet and it is 3/4" to where it flares out. My 5/16" is on back order from Charles but I would guess it would be about the same. So how far in do you go to be safe from the "wobble demons"?

Tom

Randy_

Interesting question!! And I don't know the answer; but, out of curiosity, I measured my collets(from 800watt on eBay) and discovered the following. The 1/4" collet(for the "A" mandrel has 0.95" of gripping length and the 5/16" collet(for the "B" mandrel) has has 1.6" of gripping length.

Now for some pure speculation on my part. I'm guessing the er-32 collect are originally designed for use when milling metal and I assume the forces would be much greater in that type of application than in turning pens. That being the case, I would think you would want to use the full gripping length of the collet when working metal; but could probably get away with using less when turning pens.

Since your 1/4" collet has 3/4" of gripping length and your "A" mandrel has 3/4" of length available for gripping, seems like the problem is solved for your "A" mandrel. And since a larger diameter collet will have "MORE" gripping area for a given length, logic would suggest that you could use a little less length on a 5/16" collet.

I am looking forward to hearing from Paul or Bruce or any of our other professional machinists for their insight. Maybe our buddy, Ken, in the far North can offer some light??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom