mandrel question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Section10

After taking way too long to get my shop set up I'm finally getting close enough to start thinking about buying pen kits.
When I first started spending money, I bought 2 mandrels from HUT: a 7mm which measures .226-.227 in. dia. and their Ameroclassic which measures .271-272 in. dia.
Now I want to buy some slimline kits from CSUSA and I see on line that AZ Silhouette sells a 7mm (A) mandrel which measures .245-.247 in. dia. and a B mandrel which measures .291 in. dia. They claim that their 7mm is also compatible with CSUSA 7mm and the bushings will interchange.
Does this mean I cannot use CSUSA 7mm kit bushings on my HUT 7mm mandrel? Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

CSU and Berea 7mm mandrel I have always found to be interchangeable. Hut as far as I know is a Berea reseller same as AZ Silhouette.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by vick
<br />CSU and Berea 7mm mandrel I have always found to be interchangeable. Hut as far as I know is a Berea reseller same as AZ Silhouette.

Correct. The HUT mandrel is a Berea A. Do check it out carefully before using. There have been QC issues recently.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
CSUSA kits have always fit all my mandrels (a dozen or so, different sources). PSI 7mm kits CAN have a diameter that is too small for other manufacturers' mandrels. Not always, tho'.

Randy_

James: Are you sure you "zeroed" your vernier before you took those measurements?? My understanding is that HUT is a Berea reseller just like AS. I would have expected you to get similar measurements to what you quoted for the AS mandrels? I have never seen a published report that HUT was selling a "non-standard" sized mandrel??

The fact that both of your measurements are exactly 0.02" off from the published Berea sizes makes my wonder[?][?]

jdmyers4

I have a question about madrels too.

Does CSUSA have just one Mandrel size? I'm thinking about getting some kits from CSUSA - I have a 'B' mandrel from AS. Do I need to get another mandrel from CSUSA, or will the 'B' from AS work?

John

Randy_

John: All CSUSA kits are designed to be turned on a 7 mm("A") mandrel. The "B" mandrel will NOT work for those kits. Use the Berea "A" mandrel if you have one or buy a CSUSA 7 mm mandrel.

The Berea "A" and the CSUSA 7 mm are essentially the same size and the PSI mandrels are a few thousandths smaller. This means Berea "A" bushings and CSUSA bushings may be a little sloppy on PSI mandrels and PSI bushings may be a little tight on the Berea and CSUSA mandrels. I have used them all, interchangeably, and had only one problem.....a PSI bushing that would not fit on a Berea mandrel. About 30 seconds of work with some 600 grit sandpaper on the <b>inside of the bushing</b> solved the problem. It is best to open up the bushings if you have this kind of problem rather than taking down the mandrel. Best option is to use bushings and mandrels from the same manufacturer; but after you get some experience, you can cheat a little.[:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom