Mandrel Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbyrd24

Don't Laugh[:I]This might be a really dumb question.
I have borrowed my son's jet mini which has a 2mt mandrel.
My lathe has only a 1mt. He was missing the rod for his so I
bought a new one today and screwed it on to the 2mt. I was getting to slide a few of my 7mm bushings on for spacers. They were too small.....
Do you have to buy all new bushings for a 2mt?[:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Not usually Bryan! BUT, there is a difference in diameter between different manufacturers' mandrels, and their bushings. That's why they may not fit. I forget...someone posted the different diameter measurements for the different mandrels, and the internal diameters for the bushings too. If you do a search (possibly of the archives), you might be able to find it.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
There are two spindles for the MT2. You may have purchased a Berea "B" spindle. The "A" spindle is just under 1/4". If yours is closer to 0.3" it's the B spindle. Bushings are not interchangeable.

its_virgil

No, the taper size is just the size of the arbor that holds the mandrel. Are you sure you purchased a 7mm mandrel. There is a mandrel larger that is sold by Berea Hardwoods and their resellers. Probably the mandrel shaft and your bushings are not from the same company. Mic the hole in the bushings and compare it to the OD of the mandrel. Try reaming the bushings with a 1/4" bit once you're determined the mandrel is in fact for 7mm pens. It should measure on a mic at or about .250, probably a little less. The mandrel shaft is acutally very close to 1/4" if it is the smaller size.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jbyrd24
<br />Don't Laugh[:I]This might be a really dumb question.
I have borrowed my son's jet mini which has a 2mt mandrel.
My lathe has only a 1mt. He was missing the rod for his so I
bought a new one today and screwed it on to the 2mt. I was getting to slide a few of my 7mm bushings on for spacers. They were too small.....
Do you have to buy all new bushings for a 2mt?[:I]

Randy_

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />My original 7mm mandrel was from Penn State Industries. When I bought a Berea mandrel, the Penn State 7mm bushings would not fit.

According to published figures, The PSI 7 mm mandrel has an OD of 0.243". The Berea 7 mm mandrel can be up to 0.247" so it is very possible for PSI bushings to be snug on Berea mandrels. If I get a "snug" bushing, I wrap a small piece of 400-600 grit sandpaper on a finish nail, chuck the nail in my drill and polish the hole in the bushing to loosen it up.

Randy_

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />There are two spindles for the MT2. You may have purchased a Berea "B" spindle. The "A" spindle is just under 1/4". If yours is closer to 0.3" it's the B spindle...

The "A" or 7 mm mandrel runs from 0.243" to 0.247" depending on which company you buy from. The "B" or 8 mm mandrel runs about 0.291".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom