mandrel question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I think I need to add to my mandrel inventory. I have seen the adjustable type in the CS catalog and like the option of adjusting the length. Does anyone use this type mandrel? The price is not a factor, just how dependable are they, does the knurled nut hold good. thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BogBean

I use the adjustable type and only turn one barrel at a time. It is the only type of mandrel I like to use...

MDWine

I've been eyeing them myself, until I realized it works with the taper... Shopsmith doesn't use a taper! ...bummer...
good luck, tho, and let us know how you do with it!

wayneis

I've heard many complaints about the adjustable mandrels, what I would do, (actually already did) is buy the Beall Collet Chuck or the One Way Collet Chuck if money is not a big thing to you. The chucks are very dependable, I have the Beall Collet Chuck and have turned well over a hundred pens and it still looks like new. One suggestion, this was passed down to me so I'll pass it on, every time that I finish a set of barrels I take the chuck off the lathe and unscrew it and start over when I want to turn a new pen.

Wayne

Fred in NC

Wayne, I totally agree. Some observations in addition to your post:

1. If you have a 3/4" spindle with 3/4" - 16 thread, there is a collet set that can be had for $28.95 from www.littlemachineshop.com - The 1/4" collet will fit the standard mandrel (.246"). The collets are 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 7/32", 1/4", 9/32", 5/16" plus one blank collet, which can be drilled to size. I would call Chris on the phone before ordering. It was designed for Taig lathes.

2. The same Little Machine Shop has other collet arbors that fit 2 & 3 Morse tapers.

3. Same place has collets that fit directly in the Morse taper for $8.95. 1/4" and 5/16" are available, or a standard size could be drilled out to an intermediate size. These require a DRAWBAR, which is a 3/8-16 threaded rod, plus washer and a nylon wing nut, which I got from Lowe's. The drawbar is used to close the collet and hold it in place. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN !!!!

4. IF you don't use the B mandrel frequently, you can use a drill chuck with Morse taper instead of a collet.

I am not associated with LMShop, but I have bought lots of stuff from them. Chris is getting used to penturners buying from him. He is very nice and helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom