Mandrel question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluesguitar

I have the PSI "mandrel saver" mandrel and it's great IMHO-- no fuss and no worry about overtorque and bending the shaft. This mandrel comes in one size, designated as 7mm and all the bushings for the different kits fit onto it.

I haven't been as happy with all the PSI kits and have been looking to try some of the Berea kits, which look to be a higher end product (?).

Anyway, the sites that sell Berea (I've looked at Bearwoods and Lee Valley) have two different mandrels, "A" and "B" so I'm a little confused.

First off, is it correct that the "A" is the same as the 7mm mandrel I have from PSI? The Berea kits I like appear to require the "B" mandrel so I guess I have to buy one of those?

Also, the "mandrel saver" design seems so much better than the old style with the brass nut, why aren't all the manufacturers going that way?

Thanks,

Mitch

gbpens

Yes the 7mm is the A mandrell. Most of the Berea kits require the B mandrell. I have dealt with this company for years, both mail order and at their location. They are excellent to deal with and very helpful. Jim Eusinger, the owner, imports many of the kits available at such suppliers as Woodcraft and Arizona Silhouette. Stick with the TI gold, Blk Ti, chrome, rhodium and platinum kits. Those are excellent platings. Also, read the info on the Berea site on plating. As to why there is no "mandrell saver" for 8mm? When the demand arises it will be on the market.

PenMan1

Actually, more of the Berea kits use "A" sized bushing than the "B" sized bushings. Woodcraft and Rockler have "A" sized bushings for several of the Berea sets that call for "B" bushings (El Grande and Cambridge come immediately to mind).
The only Berea components that I make that I have been unable to find "A" sized bushings is Perfect Fit.

Top Bottom