Mandrel off center or something??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

OK so first i had to start turning between centers because my mandrel would make my pens of center(or at least that what i thought).. So i got a new mandrel (one of those interchangable mandrel.. But it still was off center and i replaced the mandrel stick and it stick was off center.. So i then i tried turning between centers. and it was still off center. So i changed my bushings and threw out the bad bushings that were not round(lol?) So that works for my sierra's and Jr gents. But i still need help with my slimlines.. i have to use the mandrel.. and no i dont wanna do them between centers cuz i have to measure it every 5 seconds. So my dad has this old thingy to see if things are running off center. and my mandrel was off center by like 3 or 4 thousandths.( both mandrels) so i switched back to my live center to see if my mandrel saver was the problem..(because it has some slop). And well that didnt work. it's still like 3 or 4 thousandths off center.. So me and my dad are stumped. So i wanna try getting a new(regular mandrel) and new Bushings... O yea and we aligned my tailstock and drive center.. on my lathe it is adjustable.. My tailstock is moveable a little bit side to side, but even when it is in line with my mandrel it is still off center.. So i have no idea what is wrong.. i have this lathe http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Lathe-With-Digital-Readout/G0462 so just looking at the pictures it looks like they changed the design of the tailstock.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

The Slimline TBC bushings from Penturners Products work excellent.That solved my off-center problems,and yet having the guide of the bushings make it so you don't have to fear going too far.

The 'Triple Play" set is a good value,as it comes with precision-sized washers to use on the Slimline bushings on comfort pens,and I believe the Euro, ( I haven't tried that one yet)

It sure made my pen making easier!

Steve

Fibonacci

I assume you are talking about a dial indicator?

It is entirely possible that your headstock is not running true. Especially if all of the things that you have measured on it have about the same runout.

Rob73

The Slimline TBC bushings from Penturners Products work excellent.

The 'Triple Play" set is a good value,as it comes with precision-sized washers to use on the Slimline bushings on comfort pens,and I believe the Euro, ( I haven't tried that one yet)
Steve

I would agree with Steve. I bought the triple play setup and the bushings are great. Johnycnc also has a video here that will show you how to use the dial gauge to check your runout. He also has another video that shows the basic on TBC with pens that would be a good watch.

You can also do some basic lathe maintenance. Clean out your headstock with a 'taper mate'. You get some build up in there that will cause some issues. Before I picked up the mate I would clean out with some light sand paper, little oil and a stick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom