Mandrel and lock nut?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctwxlvr

I know people are saying if you over tighten the locknut on the mandrel it will bend the mandrel, to me it as mechanic it does not make sense to me tightening the lock nut puts pressure on the tube and bushings, and tension on the Mandrel. I can definitely see where over tightening the tail stock would bend it but not the locknut.

Dario

If the bushings are clean and the blanks are milled square and density is equal all around then yes it won't bend the mandrel. BUT if any of those are not totally square (or if one side is softer than the other) and you tighten the nut...it will act as a wedge and you WILL have a bent/crooked mandrel.

Note that it is possible to have two or more errors negate each other and you may end up with a true mandrel...but once you move/rotate them...the problem may start to manifest.

martyb

From my experience, over tightening the nut increases the chance of blowing out the blank when you get down close to final dimension. Of course, due to the extra stress and compression on the tube being transmitted through a very thin piece of wood. Cinched down for roughing, barely snug for final shaping.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
And using Super Glue and a finishing material on pens makes sense? [:D][:D]

All I know is that adjusting the tightening of the nut and switching to a Beall Collet chuck has really helped my ability to turn pens. (No comments from Ed4Copies will be accepted on my penturning abilities!!!!!!! [;)])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom