mandrel less turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwd

what all do i need to turn without a mandrel where is the best place to purchase what i need
i have a jet mini lathe
also do i really need the correct size bushings for what ever pen iam trying to turn or can i just use some that is the correct size for the tube and just use calipers to get it to the correct size?

thanks for the help

leehljp

Member Liaison
You "can" do it without the bushings and just using calipers, HOWEVER, you will need to be very careful, take very small bites with very sharp chisels on the rough blank and be careful of putting too much pressure on the brass to cause the end of the tube gets flared. With experience, patience and a jeweler's fine touch, I think it can be done.

IMO it would be better to at least rough out with bushings. I have ordered some from Johnnycnc because his are high tolerance. But regular bushings will work fine.

Firefyter-emt

I would highly recomend using the bushings as you are going to put stress on the wood and it may crack easy down the road.

You can get away with the original bushings, but John's are far above what the kit ones are when it comes to a "proper bushing"

I have many times turned a pen with "close enough" bushings because all my pens are done with calipers. I also remove the bushings to sand as not to wear the bushings, mess up my blanks and I like to give a slight "roll" on the edge to fill with CA. I feel that a little extra CA on the ends help in the long run. I use my sander mill to flatten the finish as it too is applied without bushings.

To turn this way, all you need is a dead center and a 60 degree live center and you are good to go.

Top Bottom