"mandrel less" questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

hey everyone,

to the people that use a mandrel-less process to making their pens. Do I need anything special to get started. Do I need to buy special bushings, or can i use the ones that I already have for my pens?? any info would be greatly appreciated thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
You can use the bushings you already have if they within close tolerances.

The only problem with mandrel bushings is that some are made Out Of Round or the center is drilled off center by even a very small amount - in which case it would have been noticed on mandrels too . JohnnyCNC made some bushing that were dead on accurate. Others make their own bushings out of different material. If you lathe is in perfect alignment, you can make your own by using calipers for measurements. I have some of JohnnyCNC's and I also use standard mandrel bushings without a problem.

I just realized that some of my old worn out bushings that I sanded down too much during my learning process - these work fine too with the mandrel-less process because I now rely on calipers for 'sizing' rather than the bushings. The inside of the older worn bushings are still within tolerance and so is the part of the bushing that butts up to the tube, so no need for new bushings.

Don't forget that once you get the blank down to within a mm, you take the bushings off and put the blank direct on the drive and live center for finish sizing/sanding and finishing.

The only extra tool you will need is a dead center to use in the head stock.

Grizzly sells dead centers here:
(MT2) http://www.grizzly.com/products/Carbide-Tipped-Lathe-Center-MT2/H7967

(A list of dead centers here) http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=dead center

Last edited:

rjwolfe3

Well I had typed a really good explanation but when I went to spell check it, it erased my post. Stupid ieSpell.

Here goes again: You basically need a dead and live center with 60 degree points. You can use normal bushings for any pen except slimline style. (Those have to be made or ordered) You can only turn one section at a time. When you go to sand and finish just take the bushings off and tighten the centers up on the tube. I'm not an expert so maybe one them can add anything I left out.

Hope this helps (original post was better but can't remember everything I typed, lol)

Russianwolf

Some of the B mandrel bushings can't be used either. For example the double twist Euro from Berea. The bushing is one size from end to end, so nothing for the brass tube to sit on. The bushings that work will have a stepped appearance, with the tube sliding over the smaller diameter.

RDH79

Thanks for the answers. Will have to get some bushings from Johnnycnc for the slimlines. Just got a new 60 Live center will need a dead center now. Thanks again Rich H.

Top Bottom