Mandrel help please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

T3clay

Hi I'm lookin go but a pen mandrel for my father in law for Christmas he has a jet mini that I believe is a 1x8tpi I need recommendations for a decent starter mandrel for fair price I would like to get him a mandrel and 2 blanks for $60 or under if possible! Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

No prob. It goes in the spindle morse taper (mt2) not on the threads usually. Although that is possible. Mt2 will fit his lathe.

Any one that is adjustable in length should be fine. Make sure he has a 60 degree live center already.

Cmiles1985

This is the kit I started off with. It includes everything needed to turn three pens except lathe, chisels and sandpaper. It's $60 and was available through Amazon.

Hopefully I did the link right :)

Last edited:

T3clay

Thanks everyone he has a 60 degree live center for the tail stock, is thus what he needs to work with the mandrel?

T3clay

Camiles will that rockler kit work with a mt2 60degree live center? Or is that EVERYTHING other than sandpaper and chisels?

cal91666

The kit Cmiles linked will work with the MT2 60 degree live center and is a nice kit but is listed as "oversold" on the website. If you want it as a Christmas gift you may want to call and check ETA or look at other options.

Cmiles1985

Camiles will that rockler kit work with a mt2 60degree live center? Or is that EVERYTHING other than sandpaper and chisels?

That comes with the #2 MT, mandrel shaft, 7mm drill bit, barrel trimmer, three slimline kits, three blanks and medium CA glue. It has EVERYTHING to get you started except the sandpaper. For that, I bought a multi pack at HF for a few $ that has 80, 220, 400, 500 and 1200 grit papers. That is almost enough to get a good finish. I bought the micro mesh pads from Woodturningz (great prices and fast shipping) that include several higher grit sanding pads and several very fine polishing pads ($16). If you're looking to keep it around $60, I would definitely recommend the Rockler kit. If he is already turning wood, he should have some finishing supplies.

Cmiles1985

The kit Cmiles linked will work with the MT2 60 degree live center and is a nice kit but is listed as "oversold" on the website. If you want it as a Christmas gift you may want to call and check ETA or look at other options.

Good call! I didn't see that when I was looking for the link. Thanks!

edstreet

Hi I'm lookin go but a pen mandrel for my father in law for Christmas he has a jet mini that I believe is a 1x8tpi I need recommendations for a decent starter mandrel for fair price I would like to get him a mandrel and 2 blanks for $60 or under if possible! Thank you

97707d1372692407-tbc-mandrel-img_4330.jpg

Artisan Adjustable Pen Mandrel | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA

This is one of the better designs.

PenMan1

I'd pass on the so called starter kits. The ones I'm familiar with have the LOWEST QUALITY tools and parts available. Additionally the run the "piece" count up by including unnecessary tools.

The Artisan adjustable mandrel that Ed Street posted is a quality product that should last a lifetime. Additionally, with Craft Supply's free shipping promotion, you should be able to get the mandrel, a few blanks and a component set for under your budget.

I would NOT buy slimline sets. Beginners almost always make that mistake. Slims are the hardest to make, the parts never fit precisely and they write like crap.

I would suggest buying the mandrel, a Sierra type set (I think CSUSA calls it the Sienna), matching bushings and a couple of blanks. By NOT starting with a slimline you enhance his chances of making a good writing and useable pen on his first try.

wildanessdude

Top Bottom