Which Mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I thought I read a couple of posts on here regarding types of mandrels to use etc but cannot find them. I want to start making kitless, closed end and play with a couple of ideas bouncing around in the old brain. Would like some advice on mandrels needed and types rather than learning by trial and error.
Any help/advice is appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warthog

Somewhere in this forum I saw pictures of this neat little tool that helped a person to make feather blanks. Does anyone know what I am talking about? This little tool held the tube in place while the person applied the feathers. HELP.

Wildman

Mandrel thickness, length or adjustability pretty much explained at vendors web sites. Not sure, they even address thickness these days except for Berea's A & B mandrels. Mandrels a consumable item, eventually everyone replaces bent rods or complete mandrels systems.

Some folks use ¼" or less drill rod, in their collet or four jaw chucks. Do not have any measurements or list of vendors for you but information posted here before. Drill rods better, require drilling perfectly centered hole on one end to accommodate live center. Some folks do not drill their rods.

Of course, turning between centers makes mandrels obsolete. HSS/carbide tipped dead centers & live centers indestructible.

Boils down to what you want to turn and skills!

keithbyrd

Mandrel thickness, length or adjustability pretty much explained at vendors web sites. Not sure, they even address thickness these days except for Berea's A & B mandrels. Mandrels a consumable item, eventually everyone replaces bent rods or complete mandrels systems.

Some folks use ¼" or less drill rod, in their collet or four jaw chucks. Do not have any measurements or list of vendors for you but information posted here before. Drill rods better, require drilling perfectly centered hole on one end to accommodate live center. Some folks do not drill their rods.

Of course, turning between centers makes mandrels obsolete. HSS/carbide tipped dead centers & live centers indestructible.

Already have the A & B and turned lots of pens. want to try my hand at closed end and kitless so curious what kind of mandrels/tools I will need and what brands etc are recommended.

Whaler

Already have the A & B and turned lots of pens. want to try my hand at closed end and kitless so curious what kind of mandrels/tools I will need and what brands etc are recommended.

For closed end pens I use the mandrels from Arizona Silhouette. Pen Mandrels Pen Kits Fountain Pens Rollerball Pens

Wildman

I have learned a lot reading this thread especially like Steve4948 You-tube video. Can see why he prefers metal lathe for making his mandrels.

Have made my own pin chucks from both wood with Morse taper and finishing nail and drill rod held in my chuck. Trip to grinder makes putting flat spot for pin a snap. While they met my needs not sure good enough for pen components, wasn't turning pens at the time. Not saying will not work just questioning my own abilities.

If just getting started in close end or kit less pens Arizona Silhouette mandrel looks like the best option. Pin chucks easy to use if have right size for the task and buying from Rherrell might eliminate lot of trial and error.

its_virgil

You will finda couple of articles on closed end pen at
http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles and others in the IAP library. Articles for closed end mandrels are in the library also.
Do a good turn daily!!
Don

[bQUOTE=keithbyrd;1390097]I thought I read a couple of posts on here regarding types of mandrels to use etc but cannot bning by trial and error.
Any help/advice is appreciated![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Top Bottom