mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

doohboy24

okay newbie here but question. i was just turning a pen and the pen mandrel shaft over heated and sparked at the tail stock. i turned it off and the mandrel shaft is shot. what i am wondering is why?? when i set up i bring the tail stock up to shaft i snug it up but dont think i am going too tight. am i??just may be bad mandrel?? any help would be appreciated. tks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Overheated AND sparked. Sounds like maybe your live center in the tailstock fouled up and locked itself down. Does the live center still rotate? If you were not using a live center to support the end of the mandrel then you were just begging for problems in a big way. Friction will destroy anything given enough time.

Describe to us a bit more in detail just what your setup really is at the tailstock.

Fred

No problem. That is what makes this forum so friendly. You were not 'stupid', like many of us you were probably just excited about turning that really nice chunk of burl and just didn't think it through enough.

Slow down, look at the task at hand, set up properly, and go for it. Oh yea, no beer when at the lathe unless you don't plan on turning any power tools on.

Danged, I got one right for once ... [:D]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Since you did that, it might be reasonable to think that you may have the wrong live center also. You need a 60° live center to match the mandrel. The standard tail stock center does not fit the mandrel and will wobble. Make sure you have a 60° live center in the tail stock.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />Overheated AND sparked. Sounds like maybe your live center in the tailstock fouled up and locked itself down. Does the live center still rotate? If you were not using a live center to support the end of the mandrel then you were just begging for problems in a big way. Friction will destroy anything given enough time.

Describe to us a bit more in detail just what your setup really is at the tailstock.

My thoughts and shock [:0] also. Sparks and overheating? [:0] [:0] Glad you found the problem. Let us know how things go in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom