Mandrel ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

graningwood

New to this pen turning, I have only turned about 20 pens. I have the professional mandrel from Woodcraft and would like to buy some kits from Bear Tooth and noticed some take a "B" mandrel. If I buy just the mandrel rod will it work in my mandrel holder.

Thank you
Mike Graning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

The professional mandrel from WC uses a collet to secure the mandrel shaft. If the B mandrel is only slighly larger or smaller, it may work. I have no idea what size the B mandrel is but it may be worth a look.

Randy_

And now for the long answer........ The Berea "B" mandrel is 0.291" in diameter which translates to about 7.4mm. There is a little tolerance in their mandrels so the "B" mandrel might be as small as 0.289". The "A" mandrel is 0.247" in dia.(about 6.3mm) and has the same under tolerance.

All of the bits of information posted previously are correct to the best of my knowledge excepting the speculative comment about both mandrels possibly fitting the same collet.

If you purchase a Berea High Precision "B" mandrel, you will need to purchase the matching drill driver. And that driver will "NOT" be compatible with the "A" mandrel which will require its own driver.

If you desire a little interchangeability, you can purchase the Berea precision mandrels. Both the A and B mandrels have the same 1/4 x 28 threading and can use the same arbor. I think the 1/4 x 28 threading is fairly standard and believe you can interchange arbors and threaded mandrels from different suppliers except for the threaded Woodcraft mandrel. It has a 10 x 32 thread and will not fit arbors than the woodcraft version.

Some folks like to use collet chucks like the Beall or the Axminster Jr. You will need a 1/4" and a 5/16" collet. Nice thing about the Beall collet is that it uses standard ER-32 collets which are widely available. The Axminster collets are ER-20 collets and probably readily available as well; but ER-20 collets are smaller and only go up to 1/2" gripping size. The ER-32 collets will handle 3/4" stock.

That's about all I know. Probably have missed a few things; but I'm sure someone will be along to help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom