Man, plastic blanks stink...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

PU. Plastic blanks stink like no tomorrow.
I drilled my first Acrylic Acetate blank today.
I am making a sketch pencil for myself, and I drilled it on my lathe.
Today must be a day for firsts. First plastic blank, first time drilling on my lathe, and first time painting a brass tube.

It took me 20 mins to drill my blank. I stopped & let it cool down
between drilling on it. I only drilled a little, then retracted the bit.
I stopped when the bit got hot. I didn't want to weld it to the drill bit.
It was a pretty big hole too. 11 mm to be exact.

I was surprized to get a nice straight hole in the blank, and it didn't blow out the end either. I made it a bit longer than I needed in case something happened. I have had a lot of problems using my drill press in the past, until I found out the rack for the gear to raise the table was cocked to one side. I fixed that awhile back.
Now, this might seem boring to you, but not to me.
I never did any of this before today.

I got the courage to do it from reading this forum for the last year.
If I can do this, I might be able to do something bigger & better the next time. All thanks to this forum.

So, to the guys & gals who have shown me their tips & tricks, I say a big thank you. To you guys sitting on the fence wondering if you can do it, I say go for it. Surely if I can do it, so can you.

I will make sure to post some pics of this pencil when I get it done.

:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oldtoolsniper

Guess it`s all in the nose of the smeller , but I prefer AA to PR any day . If you want a completely no smell blank , a well weathered cow pie will fill the bill .

After the challenges with mounting a billiard/ pool ball on my lathe I can only imagine the ingenuity required to mount a cow pie.

Adds a whole new meaning to "Life's to Short to Turn Crappy Wood"

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

DJBPenmaker

It was getting hot. I let it cool down before I kept going.
I squirt a little water down the tube now and then when drilling, it lubricates and cools things down. Don't usually need to stop, just withdraw now and then to clear the waste.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

scotirish

My wife is allergic to all of the plastic type blanks. :frown::frown: So what I did is install a bathroom fan over my lathe, then run an exhaust tube down to exit in front of a "Shop Fox" air filter. I hooked a charcoal filter on the intake of the fan. This is the one I used https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...55d369702d2f2f0013a2,5764561a69702d2f2f0013a5 Now I turn the non wood blanks all day an she does not smell anything. :):) My shop is in the basement and the lathe I use for pens in below her and she still smells nothing. :tongue::tongue: Happy wife equals more pen turning.
Ron

Antler smells too!

Matter of fact it smells very bad! To coin a couple of local analogies:
"It will make a buzzard puke" or it would "gag a maggot off a gut wagon"...
:)

mecompco

Congrats on both counts! I don't mind the smell, really. I DO recommend keeping your bit cool with the liquid of your choice. I wouldn't personally use water on a wooden blank, though.

Regards,
Michael

magpens

Congrats, Herb, and nice going !!! . For AA keep the speed down and go slowly.

If you can afford to buy Alumilite blanks (check out the Lava series on ExoticBlanks) then you will not have a smell problem, the drilling will be faster, and you will be impressed with the beauty of the result. . Lava blanks are made by an IAP member, ElMostro, and his blanks are the best !!

1080Wayne

Congrats on both counts! I don't mind the smell, really. I DO recommend keeping your bit cool with the liquid of your choice. I wouldn't personally use water on a wooden blank, though.

Regards,
Michael

I do , without hesitation . The frictional heat generated by drilling dries out the wood adjacent to the hole . I believe that is a major cause of the cracks that some hard dense woods are prone to .

Learned that lesson years ago when I disc sanded the end grain of a 3 inch diameter piece of saskatoon which was at 6% moisture content and burnt it a bit . Nice 1/4 inch open crack the whole 8 inch length of the piece about a week later . Since then I immediately put any similarly sanded piece into water , until it is cool to the touch . No more cracking problems , so decided it wouldn`t hurt to keep all holes full of water while drilling , wood or plastic , stopping every 1/4 inch or so to clear the chips and refill the hole with water .

Top Bottom