Man, did I get a lot of finishing help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

That was super, after digesting all that great help, I really don't feel quite so overloaded. A few things came through clear.
(1)Friction polish is not a real good permanent finish, unfortunately that with sanding sealer is what I have been using.
(2)It appears CA is a very permanent finish. I have experimented with this just a bit.
(3)most people are comfortable with their finish and feel it is the best for them.
I am very interested in that melamine lacquer that Gary mentioned. Does it have to be sprayed, Gary.
Anyway, I really appreciate all the help and opinions. This forum is by far the best I have seen.
Now I won't feel self concious about posting my next dilemma- turning non-wood pens. All the acrylics, plastics, crushed velvets, acrylester,etc are mind boggling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

I posted that info at jimr's inital question a few posts back. I don't know why he started another thread on it.

G

Originally posted by Gary
<br />No, the Myland's Melamine Lacquer does not have to be sprayed. You apply it as a wipe on.
I guess this entire thread really belongs in finishing but because it's here I'll post this here.
After experimenting with different finishes I started using a Mylands system reccomended by Woodturningz.
Mylands cellulose sealer
High build friction polish
Carnauba wax
Three coats(minimum of each) and move to the next.
I did get better results with a little MMing at different stages.
I went to the Mylands site because I had never heard of melamine lacquer.
Since the site says to use cellulose sanding sealer as a thinner I'm guessing the cellulose sealer is lacquer based.
How does the melamine lacquer differ from regular lacquer?
http://www.myland.co.uk/turning.html

Gary

Without getting into coatings chemistry, lacquer in it's simplest definition, is a mixture of natural or synthetic resins in a volatile solvent.

The most common lacquer is derived from wood products and is referred to as nitrocellulose based. Melamine lacquer is a mixture of synthetic melamine resins made from melamine and aldehyde and a solvent carrier.

What's important as it relates to pens is that the melamine lacquer dries to a harder finish. It is the lacquer used to finish high quality guitars and other quality musical instruments.

Now you know more than you ever wanted to know about lacquer[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom