Mammoth Ivory...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

Okay... I have been looking into turning ivory for awhile. It is difficult to justify it to myself morally, but I have discovered a source for "mammoth ivory".

...Seriously?

It just seems like something that is so rare that it wouldn't be chopped up for pen blanks. Right up there with unicorn horn and dinosaur fossil.

Does anyone know if this stuff is legit? Not just that you have worked with it, but that there is some way to confirm that it really is mammoth ivory?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monark88

I agree with what you are saying. I have some difficulty with this also, but, maybe a Mammoth pen might be an acceptable way of preserving the ivory, while having some utilitarian purpose at the same time, for many to enjoy for a long time, hopefully.

Do you think this might be a better use for the ivory, as opposed to just having it put away in a box in some collection?

I dunno, just a thought, not an answer.

Russ

Randy Simmons

I agree with what you are saying. I have some difficulty with this also, but, maybe a Mammoth pen might be an acceptable way of preserving the ivory, while having some utilitarian purpose at the same time, for many to enjoy for a long time, hopefully.

Do you think this might be a better use for the ivory, as opposed to just having it put away in a box in some collection?

I dunno, just a thought, not an answer.

Russ

The reasons you stated were exactly mine for choosing mammoth ivory over elephant ivory, along with the fact that I would be able to charge more.

I am just having trouble with the legitimacy.

PTsideshow

It runs from hard to soft and in all grades of hardness in between. Depending if it is just the mammoth Ivory or has been fossilized by mineral replacements. It is very common for knifes scales hand gun grips and schrimshawing.

You can get from small chunks or pebble pieces to complete tusks if you have the money. It is one of the largest export items from Mother Russia.
Boone Trading Company - Ivory and Scrimshaw

Or the vegetable ivory Vegetable Ivory
:clown:

Top Bottom