making your own kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

As people get better at making pens, some follow the path to kitless pens.

But does anyone ever follow the path to making their own pen kits for their own use? In other words, making their own tips, bands, clips and caps, and buying just the twist mechanism?

Just wondering! :eek:

Mike...

jttheclockman

Mike there are some here that have done that. Mike Redman is one. Jeff Powell, Skiprat, many more and there were many before them such as Greeneyeblackcat Too numerous to name all. Look for custom pens in your search and you will see some examples.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok, I've been gone a bit so now it's my turn to make an arsey comment...:biggrin:

The point of going kitless is to be unique and not be restricted to the repetitive confines of a kit. If a pen maker makes the same parts over and over, then he is back in the kit confines....:biggrin: Vicious circle...:tongue:

I think I understood your question but was feeling stupid.....hence the answer:)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Lots of members make their own hardware for their pens. Its pretty easy to make a nose cone or center band or cap/finial on the lathe. Learning how to do what in what order is one challenge, how to hold on to it while you make it is another.
Brass and aluminum can be done on wood lathes but metal lathes make it easier.
Steel, in its various configurations will need a metal lathe.
Perhaps the hardest part to make is the clip. You can cut it out of flat sheet using a jewelers saw and bend it. You can cast one using the lost wax method, or hand form one with files etc.
Some are satisfied just to make their own parts simply because they can, they want to make everything themselves. Others like Skip make completely unique one-of-a -kind pens that defy duplication.

Welcome back Skip. I wondered where you had run off to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom