Making your own centerbands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Efletche

Just a quick question about making your own. Do you use the 7mm drill bit or do you make the hole wider? Curious about the techniques everyone is using.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
When I make my centerbands I use the same rod that I use for the rest of the pen, I just cut it shorter. Then I put it on the mandrel along with the rest of the pen in place of the center bushings. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it but this works for me!

Efletche

For the slimline, I was thinking about using the longer brass tubing from a European style and gluing the material I want on this as well as the wood for the upper blank.That should be long enough.

G

Since I hate the dinky littles rings that come with slim line kits I have been making my own.
Treat the ring as you would a blank with a tube in it,square the ends wether you are going to let it slide free or glue it to the tube.
Watch the hands!
If I am going to glue it on the tube I drill it and put a loose tube inside the custom ring when I "mill" it.
You might want to order the 10" long tubes that are available for making stuff like this and getting out of a jam if you booger something up.

Tom McMillan

I've made centerbands using a longer tube also. But, I've also made loose center rings to go over the transmission by using a 1/4 inch drill then squaring the ends with a pen mill. This can be turned between pen blanks so that you can vary the size of the center of the pen or it can be turned between bushings.

Tom McMillan

Scott

There are LOTS of ways to make your own centerbands! Some of the best are noted above. I personally like loose centerbands - they just seem to go well with the way I turn. For that I use a 1/4" drill, and then just use that piece of wood (or whatever) in place of the center bushing, and turn it at the same time as the rest of the pen.

And just for the heck of it, I'll mention that there is an article right here on Penturners.org that does a pretty good job of showing how I do it!

http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom