Making wood oily

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I am noticing trend that my customers seem to prefer pens with that raw-wood look. I had a lady recently go bonkers over a bocote pen that was merely waxed (carnauba).

I'd like to do this with non-oily woods like curly maple, but fear the discoloration from hand crud.

I've though about either vacuum or pressure forcing some Tung, varnish, or BLO into drilled blanks to force some oil or resin in them, sorta like a stabilized blank. Anyone try doing this with an oil to "mimic" the oil in woods like cocobolo to make them more durable?

Dario

I tried vacuum treating drilled blanks with Danish oil and the result was okay. I am using one pen for a year now treated this way (then Tung oil finished) and whenever it loses its shine, I just wipe it on my pants and it looks good again.

The only thing I noticed...it almost have its mood. There are days that it looks very shiny then there are days it look gloomy. I think temperature will affect how it looks (daily).

BTW, the one I am using is figured cherry baron.

Rifleman1776

Hand rubbed oil finishes may be the oldest wood finish in the world. Widely used on furniture is considered the finest possible.
Hand rubbed oil finishes on gun stocks hold up quite well, many centuries in fact. High quality boiled linseed oil is far and away the most popular. But do be sure you use a high quality product or else you will end up with something that will turn gummy with time. Pure tung oil is excellent, but, again, stay with quality products and are PURE tung oil. With these, handling often only improves the appearance.

gerryr

If your usual finish is CA, trying buffing it with 0000 steel wool. It will leave a beautiful satin finish and all the protection of CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom