Making a Scalloped Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David350

Hi, I found what I thought was a good video on Youtube on making a scalloped pen so I am going to take the plunge and try to make my first. I had a couple of questions for those who have done this before. Should one scratch / key your metal that you are gluing to your wood? Also, would a medium CA glue work best, or should one use epoxy?

I am thinking of using copper if I can find some copper roof flashing. Has anyone used copper before and if so, what was your experience, or do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Copper tends to grab the cutting tool when you are machining it.
This may not be a problem if the copper is thin as it would be in your case.
Just a warning.
No problem with aluminum.

randyrls

What Mal said is spot on. Both Copper and Brass tend to grab a drill bit. You can avoid this by "dulling" the drill bit. Hone a vertical flat on the drill bit flutes. This is common on high end metal-working drill bits. You can also heat the copper flashing to red heat and let it cool slowly. This will anneal the copper and make it soft as aluminum foil.

Copper tends to grab the cutting tool when you are machining it.
This may not be a problem if the copper is thin as it would be in your case.
Just a warning.
No problem with aluminum.

DWalk

Also check out his website listed under the video. He has a pdf file of the scalloped pen I recently downloaded for myself.

JohnU

I would suggest epoxy or flexible CA. Regular CA doesn't hold as well on metal, but I've only tried it with aluminum.

Top Bottom