Making Resin Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHeretic

Ok I am having a hell of a time getting any of my blanks to even solidify. I guess I need to either learn to count drops better or just try to do it again.

Anyhow.... I just needed to vent a bit on them. I will be trying it again. And again. Till I get decent blanks. sheesh.......

Dean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Dean, I can barely get mine to gel over night sometimes. I've also found that if I use enough catalyst to hurry things up, it traps more bubbles inside and is much more brittle. Just be patient and let it set for a few days. It should set up.

terrymiller

Dean I dont know if this will help but here is a link I found the other day. http://users.lmi.net/drewid/resin_faq.html

chigdon

Terry, that was great information. One thing though, it paints a real bad picture of the health effects of using polyester resin!!!

TheHeretic

Interesting article there Terry bout the resins. But I know they are bad, and still continue to use them! I have worked with much worse stuff so this doenst bother me. That and I dont plan on breathing them for to long. Ok just untill I get things in the casting and than its off to the fresh air outside the garage.

Dean

mrplace

I have never had this problem, and i have used as little as 2 drops an oz and as much as 6 per oz. When I use 2 drops, I have to usually wait overnight, but by morning it is set and ready to turn.

Are you in a high humidity area or is it exceptionally cool? What resin & cat are you using?

I did have some trouble about a month ago when we where having or 100+ degree days. I got wrinkles in the sides of my casts, but haven't had any other trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom