Making a pen like the Uniball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

OK first things first, I did search the library and didn't find anything relative, so here goes--my favorite writing/using pen before discovering the great world of penturning and custom pens, was/is the Uniball Vision Elite. I suppose it is a rollerball style, but I'm not sure, it has a pretty find point and writes very smooth. I just wanted to solicit feedback on what refills etc. you would look at if you were trying to duplicate the writing feel & performance of the Uniball Vision Elite?

I have seen the Schmidt rollerball refills, and I think I will order some parker style sized refills of that type, but I haven't seen anything else that I think is even headed in the right direction---all feedback/input welcome.

Thanks--Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The Uniball is a rollerball & you can purchase Uniball refills, so that would seem to be the way to go to make a pen that writes exactly like a Uniball.

Now I don't know if a Uniball refill is exactly the same length as a standard rollerball refill, but that would be easy to confirm one way or the other.

If the Uniball is the same length as a standard rollerball refill, you should be able to use it in any rollerball kit.

If it's longer, then just use a slightly longer tube for whatever kit you want to make.

If it's shorter you can either use a slightly shorter tube than what the kit calls for or simply insert a small plastic or wood cylinder above the refill to make up the difference.

Best regards
Edgar

wwneko

I'm with you Don, the uniball is my favorite pen to write with too. It's similar in how it writes to other rollerballs but I haven't found the others to be as smooth. I don't think the "refill" for the uniball is going to fit any kit. We need to find a standard rollerball refil that has similar writing properties to the uniball.

Last edited:

t001xa22

Don, I might suggest that if you can't find a kit that would be compatible with your uniball refill, make a pen to fit it from scratch. I am talking about using an idea like the tutorial from Don Ward (2013) in the Library re: making a one-piece body like the Slimline to house the refill. I have made several of these pens thanks to this tutorial that turned out very well and certainly very adaptable and unique. Just a thought.

Curly

The Sierra Click pens of a few years back had an extension on the refill that was .504 long (measured one tonight) to make it work. Putting in a Uniball 207 without the extension fit perfectly and improved the feel of the click mechanism. I don't know if the recent Sierra Clicks have the same extension.

Mr Vic

The refill looks a lot like one of the new rollerball nibs that will use a cartridge or converter. Down and Dirty take one of their cheaper plastic body housings and cut of the open end where the refill screws in. Find a rollerball/fountain pen kit you can glue the collar into...You may have to drill out the section or sand down the insert.

Another option would be to take one of the inexpensive plastic pens, remove the clip from the cap, measure cap and body OD and drill two blanks to that OD. Clue in the pen pieces in lieu of brass tube and turn as closed end pens

woodwzrd

Ditto on the G2 refill. They fit in most roller ball kits that I have ever used and I almost always replace the ink in my daily writers with a Blue G2 refill.

I've been using a Uni-ball refill in my rollerball pens for a while & they work great. The Pilot G2 also works really well.

robertkulp

Currently using this refill. Should work for any of the rollerball pens. Don't try to put one of these in a Parker refill pen, though. It won't work. Likewise, a Parker refill won't work in a rollerball pen.

Attachments

• 20141212_155348.jpg
    20141212_155348.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 173
Top Bottom