Making a Leather Cigar Pen (long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

I started this in my own Woodworking Friends site and thought it might be informative enough to post in a couple other sites so here is a copy of it.

With a little luck this is going to be a two barrel leather Cigar pen.
The leather for this one is a little thicker than what I used in the single barrel Sierra that I made previous to this one. There will approx be 18 layers of leather in each barrel.
The leather used is some more scraps that my friend gave me and this time he loaned me a punch because this time I am doing it with the stacked on tube method instead of gluing leather together and drilling out the hole for the tube later like I did on my last one .
Here are the scraps of leather and the punch and I have cut some of the leather into 3/4" x 3/4" squares and started punching holes in the center.

scrapleatherandpunchSmall.jpg

There was a small piece of Grey leather painted white on top so I am going to space a couple of them into each barrel.
Unfortunately the diameter of the punch was too small for the size of those brass tubes . So plan B was to use my Dremel tool and enlarge every hole so the pieces would slide snugly over the tube.

punchandDremelSmall.jpg

Here is the start of the gluing process.

WeldbondglueSmall.jpg

startedgluingSmall.jpg

Just another three or four layers to go. I wipe off the excess before clamping. The glue goes on white but dries crystal clear. ..

almosttotopSmall.jpg

Here is one glued and clamped .

rirstonegkuedSmall.jpg

And here are both top and bottom barrel. Notice the glue has almost gone clear on the first one already.

twocigarpenblanksSmall.jpg

Now I will give the glue a minimum of 24 hours to cure and will follow up some time after that with the steps I will take when turning these two blanks into a pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

I made one for a knifemaker a few years ago. He made me a knife with a leather handle and I made him a pen. I think he liked the pen more than than the money I paid for the knife. I used epoxy, will have to remember this glue, looks a lot easier.

Marvin

nava1uni

If you used scraps of oak tanned leather you would have to use less pieces and it's rigidity will make the turning process easier. It is also light in color and can be dyed in different colors with alcohol based leather dye.

W.Y.

The glue seemed like it was well cured by 6 PM today . I was going to make it into a pen tomorrow but I decided to go out after supper and give it a go.
First I soaked thin CA into all sides and the ends and hit it with aerosol accelerator . Then squared the ends of the blanks down to the ends of the brass tubes
Put the blanks on the lathe and started with square like this and used a roughing gouge to make them round.
Pardon the poor pictures. I did not have my camera set to match my shop lighting.

ReadytoTurn.jpg

Here it is rounded and turned half way down to the bushings with a very sharp skew . I applied thin CA again and accelerator at this point because I was getting past where the first application had soaked in to . Then I proceeded to turn it down just proud of the bushings and apply yet another application of thin CA.

ThinCAandacellerator.jpg

It was now ready for sanding and I sanded progressively from 120 grit to 600 . I used to sand a lot higher up to 12000 MM but don't find that necessary anymore with the way I apply a BLO/CA finish and follow up with One Step Polish .
Here it is after applying six applications of BLO/MS at 20 second intervals. . (Horrible out of focus picture but too late to correct that now lol )
And follwed wit One Step Polish

turnedtobushingswithskewandCAapplie.jpg

Polisedwithonestep.jpg

It started looking good enough for the girls I go with so took it off the lathe and dressed it up with some hardware and applied some wax and buffed a little by hand. . .
Should have taken the time to use my three stage Beal buffing system for a little better shine.
The finish is extremely smooth and there are no ridges between the layers of leather. Some prefer the ridges and stop at that point. I prefer my pens smooth and shiny so I continue on to make them that way. Guess it's all a matter of preference.
The CA darkens the leather a lot from it's original state but I personally think that adds some richness to it. .
Gosh, . . . it takes a lot longer to take pictures and make up a tutorial for something like this than it does to actually make it.
Comments welcome.

LeatherCigarpen.jpg

TurnedAround

William,

Did you put all of this on the PP forum? Seems like more here. Love the idea and will give it a go in the near future. Every time you come home from Dollar store you create another cool toy. Keep it up.

Ed
"Sawdust"

shull

William,
Wonderful idea and beautiful execution. I have many belts in my closet that are too small :wink: and will now have a new function.

W.Y.

Thank you all for the kind remarks.

William,

Did you put all of this on the PP forum? Seems like more here. Love the idea and will give it a go in the near future. Every time you come home from Dollar store you create another cool toy. Keep it up.

Ed
"Sawdust"

I thought I had put it on the PP forum but it isn't there now. Maybe I had a senior moment and just thought I put it there.
Of course I put it on my own WWF site first where I strated it and then shared it on a couple others .

No dollar store parts in this one. Perhaps you were thinking of the bunch of dollar store ice cream scoops I did ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom