Making Decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JDJ309

I've seen some cool decals on pens on this site. I've seen comments about making decals and my question is simple. How do you make a decal for a pen? Thanks in advance for any info on this subject.

G1Pens

Its fairly simple. You need a printer and decal paper. You can do it with an ink jet printer or a laser, you just have to make sure you get decal paper for that printer. If you print with an inkjet you have to apply a clear fixative to the decal after printing to bind the ink to the decal film.

You can usually find decal paper/film at a good hobby shop, usually Testor brand. There are also several places on the Internet to buy from, including ebay. Decal paper comes in clear or white.

You have to remember that you cannot print white with a printer, so you have to take that into account when selecting a graphic and paper.

Other than that it is a breeze.

If you don't want to mess with it, I print decals as a service for $10 for a 5x8 sheet.

I'll be glad to help you in any way I can. PM me if you need any help.

Boz

I work in the ink jet industry. There are two kinds of ink Dye and pigment. Dye inks will fade fairly rapidly especially in the sun. Many of your less expensive home printers will have this kind of ink and most of the cheap refill ink sets are dye based. Pigment on the other hand is much more perminant. The color is more like the pigments used in the paint on your car. It can be found in your better printers. I also spray using a fixative that has UV inhibtors to keep the sunlight from fading the printed image. If you don't know or can't find out what kind of ink you have in your printer a good test is to print an image put a book or something opaque over half of it and set it in front of a window that gets good sunlight for about a week. When you remove the cover if you see a big difference you can be assured you have dye ink.

Top Bottom