Making center bands?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royce Meritt

What procedure do any of you use when making your own center bands? I have tried a couple of times to make center bands and always have the same problem. I can't seem to get the 2 ends of the band to be flat AND parallel to each other. This, of course, results in unsightly gaps between the barrels and the center band. Any tricks? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fleabit

I just use an end mill on both the center band and the pen tube. One thing I do that may not be the norm: I glue in a piece of brass tube so that the CB and the turned tubes are all on the same level.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You can go to my wesite and see a description and photos of how I make center-bands. It might be helpful.

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen51a.html

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have found that CB's without a tube in them are prone to cracking or breaking.
No sense looking for an unsatisfied customer for the lack of a piece of brass tube 3/16th's" long

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />I have found that CB's without a tube in them are prone to cracking or breaking.
No sense looking for an unsatisfied customer for the lack of a piece of brass tube 3/16th's" long

Where do you get that tubing in 3/16th's long????

Sorry, Eagle, the devil MADE me do it!!![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

William Young

rather than a floating center band i glue the center band to the top barrel blank before ever drilling it or turning it.
i use the long brass tubes and cut them to length on my scrollsaw to match the length of the top barrel plus the center band.
w.y.

Royce Meritt

Oh, I get it now!!!

Being somewhat new to pen turning (and sometimes being a dope) it had not occurred to me that they did not need to be "FLOATING" center bands. All I need is some longer tubes and my problem is solved. Thanks a bunch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom