Making Blanks----Fun stuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

I have been--- passing out--selling--trading and giving away blanks for several months now. Last week a box went to Az. I am out of blanks--this can not happen to me. So this morning I started cutting some up. It will be about 30 days before they are ready to use. The log has been stored for a couple of years in my shop but is still a little wet.
Now that is cut I can saw it down into blanks--of course I am going to harvest the heart for Bowls--looks like 6 nice bowl blanks.
Oh the saw is a 026 with a 20 inch bar.--the log will be about 150 years old. For this part of the country this is a good size Cedar log. I know they are getting harder to come by every year.

2004122216477_CLog1.jpg

20041222164744_CLog4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

Gary, You do not say where you are from. I have 3 large cedars to cut down this spring.
ANYONE who wants some and is willing to be part of the mayhem let me know.

When I say large, I mean about 20-30'

ChrisL

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Gary, You do not say where you are from. I have 3 large cedars to cut down this spring.

DOGHOUSE,

I have no idea where Smithfield is, but I am in Fredericksburg and would be happy to help in exchange for a few bowl blanks!!![:)]

PenWorks

Gary, the more I leep looking at that stump, that is a nice clean cut you made. Your pretty handy with that chain saw.

You haven't been in any movies lately, Have you ?[?] [:D]

PS. Did the calender make it, or haven't you been into town yet. Anthony

Gary Max

Anthony--the calendar arrived today.
What about your blanks.

I am located 120 south of Louisville Ky or about 15 miles from Campbellsville. Ky

PenWorks

Not yet, think about it, "Cave Creek" our post office was founded in 1877, I think some of the same people work there from the original staff.

But I did get the resins from Canada and that book on fountain pen repair, I would love to kick back and read it tonight, but I know I'll be in the STUDIO cuttin that stuff up. Anthony

ilikewood

When I first started to read your post, I thought to myself, "poor guy...passing out like that". Then I read it a bit more carefully. [:I]

That looks like it will produce some great looking bowl blanks. Make sure you get some nice sections of that crotch looking section for pens!!

Gary Max

Bill ---anytime a woodworker stops by I make sure he has wood to take home with him.
That crotch you are taking about is going to be real nice.
I just have to be careful how I block it down next.
I may have to spend some time looking at it. Walking around it--talking to it.
I am going to finish cutting it in the morning. I did get a real nice stack of blanks cut up today.

Rifleman1776

Is that eastern aromatic cedar? If it is, come to the Arkansas Ozarks, it is not hard to find, grows like weeds. Personally, I don't like to turn it as I find it too soft and brittle.

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />I have been--- passing out--selling--trading and giving away blanks for several months now. Last week a box went to Az. I am out of blanks--this can not happen to me. So this morning I started cutting some up. It will be about 30 days before they are ready to use. The log has been stored for a couple of years in my shop but is still a little wet.
Now that is cut I can saw it down into blanks--of course I am going to harvest the heart for Bowls--looks like 6 nice bowl blanks.
Oh the saw is a 026 with a 20 inch bar.--the log will be about 150 years old. For this part of the country this is a good size Cedar log. I know they are getting harder to come by every year.

2004122216477_CLog1.jpg

20041222164744_CLog4.jpg

PenWorks

Merry Christmas to ME [:D] Almost a clean sweep today, snake skin & Cedar.

If that log is half as nice as what I got today from Gary, LOOK OUT !

I think a couple of new desk sets are in order for ME ! [:p] Just having the beautifull blocks on my desk is good enough, and the AROMA is just fantastic. [:)]

Thanks allot Gary, & Merry Christmas to ME again [;)]

2004122318330_DSC00030.jpg

Tom McMillan

Wow, wow, wow!!!! Anthony, you lucky guy (except for the snakeskins---poor snake :) Really, hope they all make some beautiful pens---which I'm sure they will with your talent!!! That cedar does have a great aroma---too bad to put a finish on it.

jkirkb94

Gary you're going to have cedar blanks out the wazoo! And just think how nice your shop is going to smell! And Anthony, I can hardly wait to see what you make out of the snakeskin! Kirk[8D]

Gary Max

Anthony If you want to keep the smell on the desk sets.
The wife recommands just one coat of a water based polly.
Seals the wood but not air tight.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A little trick for aromatic woods like cedar, eucalyptus and camphor...cut both barrels a little proud and do not get glue on the inside of the part that is proud. It will release just enough fragrance to enjoy and not so much as to annoy those around you whose olfactory nerves are sensitive. [8D]

PenWorks

What if I just oiled it with Waterlox, I use that as a natural finish alot. Has a nice soft sheen. I hate to say, but I smoke in my office, and I need all the aroma I can get out of it. Plus I like it the smell of cedar. Anthony

Gary Max

If I would of know that I would of used cedar saw dust for packing material.
Waterlox will work just fine.
Anthony you would love walking into my shop.
I have a BUNCH of cedar.

Carole in VA

<br />Gary, You do not say where you are from. I have 3 large cedars to cut down this spring.

Well that sounds like a fun spring outing and a chance to meet some fellow turners! Shout when you get ready to cut them!

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Will I need a bigger chain saw soon...[:p]

lkorn

I have 3 large cedars to cut down this spring. ANYONE who wants some and is willing to be part of the mayhem let me know.

Let me know when, I'll try to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom