Make a preacher want to cuss!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

U-Turn

Tonight I had the third El Grande/Cambridge pen crack on me. On all three, when I pressed in the black plactic center retaining ring, some of the plastic was peeled back by the tube and cracked the wood - had an absolutely beautiful piece of burl and got down to the last thing and it did it. It's not so easy to fix as it is when you are turning it and can glue in some of the dust to cover up - am pretty good at that. Any suggestions - I am frustrated to no end.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

The El Grande has a very thin layer of wood left when the blanks are turned to final diameter.

Next time you could turn them a bit large and roll the ends over to the final size.

You can take the pen apart and put the barrels back on the lathe and repair the cracks. I use a slurry of ca and sanding dust when I need to.

The part that goes into the tubes can be sanded a little to reduce the diameter then glued into place. The smalller diameter going into the tube ends will exert less pressure.

I hope you figure out a fix and ease your frustrationl. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Tonight I had the third El Grande/Cambridge pen crack on me. On all three, when I pressed in the black plactic center retaining ring, some of the plastic was peeled back by the tube and cracked the wood - had an absolutely beautiful piece of burl and got down to the last thing and it did it. It's not so easy to fix as it is when you are turning it and can glue in some of the dust to cover up - am pretty good at that. Any suggestions - I am frustrated to no end.

sbwertz

I usually take my dremel with a dental bit and enlarge the crack, then I use the bit to carve out several more "flaws" in the barrel so that the crack is not so obvious. I then fill all the cracks with crushed turquoise or other stone. It usually takes multiple coats of CA because by the time I get the stone turned down the barrel is slightly over turned and it takes extra coats of CA to build it back up to the correct diameter. I usually use black embossing powder right at the edge of the blank instead of stone to give added strength.

When you are finished, it looks like it was done by design, not by necessity.

rizaydog

Been there, done that. Before I press the parts together, I score lines w/ a utility knife across the black plastic. This will allow the plastic peels to come off. When I press the parts together, I just blow the plastic peels out as they present themselves.

U-Turn

Thanks to all of you - got a couple of good ideas to prevent this again. Not sure why they don't use a metal ring retainer with the high end pens!!!!

ctubbs

I make a lot of El Grande style pens, haven't had that happen with the center band, but did crack a Truestone with a metal component going into the barrel. I always very lightly chamfer the brass tube after truing up the ends, which probably would have prevented your mishap. My tool looks something like this: http://www0.epinions.com/review/Deb..._Case_Care_Trimmers_Rcbs/content_469655588484

Dan

Midway USA has the chamfer tool for less here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=789334
Charles

pianomanpj

You can also get these at Arizona Silhouette. I've been using one for a few years now, and I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes for me. When I true up the ends of the blank (even with a sanding mill), the brass tube always gets a small burr. This takes that off with one, light pass and makes assembly so much easier.

http://www.arizonasilhouetteinc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=481

I make a lot of El Grande style pens, haven't had that happen with the center band, but did crack a Truestone with a metal component going into the barrel. I always very lightly chamfer the brass tube after truing up the ends, which probably would have prevented your mishap. My tool looks something like this: http://www0.epinions.com/review/Deb..._Case_Care_Trimmers_Rcbs/content_469655588484

Dan

Top Bottom