Make a full size statesman with a 3/4" blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

delonybro

I've been commissioned to make a friend a full-sized statesman for his father for Father's Day, the only problem is that the blank he wants to use is 3/4" not 7/8" as the instructions call for.

I haven't made a pen this big yet, and while I wouldn't blink to make a JR Gent/Majestic size from a 3/4" blank, I'm curious if anyone else has done a full-size from 3/4? Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you decide to try it, you should 1. drill it on the lathe and 2. use polyurethane glue to get the greatest adhesion, and 3. wrap gauze and CA it good; 4. take your time drilling - don't rush it. I haven't done a statesman in a while and am not in my shop. IIRC, it will work dimension wise.

And I have drilled blanks with less than 1/8 in walls. ON very thin and delicate turnings, I wrap string or gauze around them and CA them. Then drill, glue it up well and turn. CA'ed Gauze is VERY helpful on the exit end to keep it from blowing out.

Do-able? yes. Care is necessary. Plan ahead. Know your lathe, use sharp tools. The reason I say "Know your lathe" is that in the past several months, there have been 3 or 4 posts with people saying that drilling on the lathe causes oblique or wallowed out on the exit end.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes. (edit in: Usually successfully, but not every time, which is why I learned to measure first!!)

Now, what is the material? What is the REAL dimension? Use a micrometer and KNOW where you are starting. If the material is questionable--stabilize it first. Definitely drill a smaller hole before drilling the 37/64 (.578"). If you give the actual dimension and the actual material, I will be happy to try to guide further.

And do everything Hank said--it will ALL help.

Last edited:

magpens

I have done it.

As suggested, drill on the lathe.

And before you do that, turn it ALMOST round between centers, just rounding the corners. . Make sure your centers are accurately measured and marked with a hand held SHARP center punch or scriber, and then drill a tiny, shallow hole accurately on the center mark. These two tiny holes will be where your dead and live centers will be placed.

I say ALMOST round because you can do the drilling with each of the 4 chuck jaws clamped onto a corner portion that is rounded ... the parts between the chuck jaws can still be flat.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Can it be done? Yup! Margin of error, well... slim.

The upper blank has a bushing OD of .653". The drill from that blank is 37/64" = .578". (Anyone can correct me if I am wrong. CSUSA site figures). So you do have a bit of meat left, but care is warranted.

If I were to do it, I would wrap the blank in medical gauze, coat with CA. Several times to give the OD more stability. That is just an initial precaution to get the hole drilled, tube glued, etc. If square, use popsicle sticks and gauze, CA. :)

Remember, most final OD for our pens is very thin (tube to bushing/component), so this is no different, but you are starting with less excess material - build it out and you will be fine.

There are other ways to accomplish this, but go for it! This is just one suggestion.

EDIT: I type slow, so the above comments from Hank, Ed and Mal are all excellent!

Attachments

• IMG_3035.jpg
    IMG_3035.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_3086.jpg
    IMG_3086.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

delonybro

Yes. (edit in: Usually successfully, but not every time, which is why I learned to measure first!!)

Now, what is the material? What is the REAL dimension? Use a micrometer and KNOW where you are starting. If the material is questionable--stabilize it first. Definitely drill a smaller hole before drilling the 37/64 (.578"). If you give the actual dimension and the actual material, I will be happy to try to guide further.

And do everything Hank said--it will ALL help.

Ed, I'll actually be ordering the blank and kit from you, he really wanted it in the Kirinite Purple Haze y'all carry - but if you think that's big enough, I'll order 2 to be safe and give it a go with everyone's suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Scott!!

I measured a couple of the Kirinite Purple Haze and they were JUST over .8 inch. When I see your order, I will make sure they are at least this size. Should give you enough to be successful, but still drill a smaller hole first!

Best of luck!!!
Ed

Top Bottom