Majestic style turners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

If you were provided evrything to do this kit, and only had your time and finishing/assembly steps what would you charge. There would be nothing else involved, and the sales would be on the hands of the othe person. This is a new kit for me and I'm not sure of the time involved or any serious problems during its turning. It would be a BLO-CA/MM'd finish. Thanks for any suggestions. Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Having just started a few months ago my opinion here is of whatever value you want to place on it. I did consult with a veteran in the business of selling at shows and he told me to tripple the cost of materials then add 10% to that total for your final price. So if you know the price of the kit you can use that formula.
Stephen

jkeithrussell

You can get a good idea of the fair/reasonable market value by looking at the websites of some of the members here. For the most part, the prices are similar. You can look at it from the point of view of selling for as much as you can get. Or, you can look at it as setting a fair/comparable price and living with it. I don't personally rely on income from pen sales, so my point of view might not be the same as someone who makes their living this way.

ldb2000

I have sold several Majestics and have priced them between $150 and $200 , depending on what they were made from and what plating was used .
The 3X rule does not always apply , sometimes you have to figure your price based on the artistic value and / or perceived value of the writing instrument. When completed , a properly assembled and finished Majestic is a very impressive writing instrument and can command a higher price then an average pen .

mick

A full size Majestic would go for a starting price of 200.00 in my area. If your market is similar then you can figure out what your time is worth versus the cost of the kit. Too many turners under value their time and expertise and end up giving their work away too cheaply.
Good luck with the project!

aggromere

material cost for me to make majestics ranges from $50 to $75 depending on the plating and wether it is rollerball or fountain. I sell them for $115 to $190 unless I do something special to them, then I charge a litttle more. Hope that helps.

GouletPens

It also depends on your fit/finish. If you know you can really get the thing perfect, then charge whatever you want. If you're not so confident it'll fit so nice, charge a little less. Most people paying $150 or more for a pen expect perfection and nothing less.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bob, I have not made a Majestic, so I don't have a quick answer for you.

However, if I read you question correctly, no one else has either.

As I read your question, someone will supply you with kits and blanks. You make the pens using the supplied kits and blanks. How much should you charge your supplier who will then sell the finished pens?

If that is the question, then I feel that you should charge an hourly rate to the supplier. Your expenses are for your time, wear and tear on your equipment (minimal expense), electricity in your shop and the finishing supplies that you will provide and use.

I would think that the ancillary expenses would only amount to a dollar or two per pen at most. What value do you put on your time, taking into account that your supplier who has the greatest financial risk in this proposal has the right to the greatest financial gain?

GouletPens

As I read your question, someone will supply you with kits and blanks. You make the pens using the supplied kits and blanks. How much should you charge your supplier who will then sell the finished pens?

If that is the question, then I feel that you should charge an hourly rate to the supplier. Your expenses are for your time, wear and tear on your equipment (minimal expense), electricity in your shop and the finishing supplies that you will provide and use.

I would think that the ancillary expenses would only amount to a dollar or two per pen at most. What value do you put on your time, taking into account that your supplier who has the greatest financial risk in this proposal has the right to the greatest financial gain?
Majestics are not any harder to make than any other pen, really. They're large, so they require thick wood or very precise drilling. What are the circumstances here? Is this just that someone has one kit and wants a pen, or is this going to be a regular thing? The quantity and timeframe should affect your pricing. If it is for someone to resell, then that may affect your price as well, because they're going to want a profit off of your work. A little more info about the circumstances here would help us to give you a better idea how to price your pens.

bkersten

Bill, This above was the whole senario-dead center-are you a bullseye match shooter :)

Brian, The wood is from witness trees that were here, age wise, at the time of the Battle of Gettysburg. It wouldn't be a substantial pen quanty on a regular basis, just when they need replaced - say 12-24 per year. His turner got activated and the availability has dried up. Besides, I have traded off with him for jigs/templates, and he gave me some witness wood- thus my supply for gifts and sales.

Wishman, my thoughts were in that range also- 20-35 especially since that's my supply point also.

Thanks for the thoughts fellas. :bananen_smilies046:
Bob

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bill, This above was the whole senario-dead center-are you a bullseye match shooter :)

Brian, The wood is from witness trees that were here, age wise, at the time of the Battle of Gettysburg. It wouldn't be a substantial pen quanty on a regular basis, just when they need replaced - say 12-24 per year. His turner got activated and the availability has dried up. Besides, I have traded off with him for jigs/templates, and he gave me some witness wood- thus my supply for gifts and sales.

Wishman, my thoughts were in that range also- 20-35 especially since that's my supply point also.

Thanks for the thoughts fellas. :bananen_smilies046:
Bob

Bob,

I'm glad if I could be of some help. Rather than a bullseye match shooter, I am more likely to be considered a matchless bull sh****r! :biggrin:

William

Moosewatcher

I have turned about a dozen Majestics and agree with Brian. The Majestic is quite an easy pen to make. The biggest difficulty is drilling the blank. Your really need a 7/8? blank to do it comfortably. That eliminates some materials. The other bad news is if you do screw up, the materials are expensive. Also, it is quite difficult to get a Majestic apart. It can be done, but not easily and there is a high risk of damaging the kit.

Ken

Top Bottom