Majestic (PSI)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Noah

I have ruined two nice Amboyna burl tops for my Majestic Pens...
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong...?

The attached photo shows Center Band Assembly (CBA) in two pieces; however, the plastic portion supplied is a single piece...
Instructions say to press the assembly into the CBA into the Upper Tube...

The CBA is 1 3/4" in length and gets "really-really" tight when pressed in about half way...with additional pressure it can be forced in completely...but that's when the problem occurs...

I have ended up splitting my tops (the Amboyna burl)...
Are you supposed to grease the thing...?

I see a lot of Majestic kits out there and know they work, so I must have a problem I can't figure out...

PSI was nice and immediately sent me replacement parts...but I don't want to have another mishap...
Thanks in advance...
Ed

Attachments

• PSI Majectic.jpg
    PSI Majectic.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 320
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snowman56

Make sure all ca is removed from inside the tube's.A little wax help's,just wipe on the black incert and when you start don't stop until it is seated.I have cracked a few myself.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I agree with Robert. Make sure all the ca is removed from inside the tube. I finished one the other day with no problems. I didn't use any wax but it doesn't seem that it would hurt.
Dave

sefali

One more for cleaning up the inside of the tubes. I've done a few of these, and haven't had any problems. Hope to see some finished pics soon.

jasontg99

Ed,

The instructions are correct. It may look like one piece, but you can actually pull it apart. Nobody else mentioned it yet, but make ABSOLUTELY sure that your blank and cap assembly are straight when pressing them together.

Jason

bracky1

The process of milling the ends can raise a small burr inside the tube, make sure you remove it. :wink:
I use a small penknife to ream round the inside edge of the tube.

DurocShark

I use 600 paper wrapped around a punch to clean up my tubes. Works great. Haven't split one in a while due to glue/goop/flash.

Noah

Thanks

I appreciate all the input...

I use AZ
Chamfering Tool to taper the ends and Baseplate Wax to keep the CA out... I've never had a problem with any other pen kit...

I did try sanding the inside of the tube but I'm thinking that just gave the assembly something to grab onto... It's such a long assembly...

I've looked closely with a 16x mag and cannot see any joint at all...

Q: Does the assembly have to be this long...? It looks to me like you could cut it in half and just use a shorter portion...

Thanks again...all input appreciated...
Ed

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The process of milling the ends can raise a small burr inside the tube, make sure you remove it. :wink:
I use a small penknife to ream round the inside edge of the tube.
Or Champhering tool. :biggrin::biggrin: If glue in the tubes is it. Go buy some rifle cleaning brushes at Wally World. Chuck them in a drill and ream out the tube till your tired of it.

I found I couldn't see the ca in the tube alot of the time. I now run a round file about the size of the tube in the tube on all the pens I do to clean up the wax, ca, burr etc. I also use t achamfering tool just before I put it together the mandrel and bushings pressing can cause a burr. Anyhow I haven't had as many issues since I started doing the above. Just make sure you do everything just before you are about to asemble and if it feels to tight you can alwas knock it apart and sand a bit.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If your assembly tool is not providing even pressure, it could be your problem.

Are you using a hand clamp?
It can give one-sided pressure.

Noah

Thanks again for all the input...

I have been using the Pen Press from Woodcraft but the base is made of Aluminum and after several hundred pens it may well have warped a bit... I've ordered the PSI pen press with a steel base... I'm waiting for it to come in before trying another assembly on the Majestic...

I like the idea of gun cleaning equipment... We don't have a Wally World, but being a gun nut I believe that my cleaning kits have what I need...
Thanks
Ed

Texatdurango

I appreciate all the input...

I use AZ Chamfering Tool to taper the ends and Baseplate Wax to keep the CA out... I've never had a problem with any other pen kit...

I did try sanding the inside of the tube but I'm thinking that just gave the assembly something to grab onto... It's such a long assembly...

I've looked closely with a 16x mag and cannot see any joint at all...

Q: Does the assembly have to be this long...? It looks to me like you could cut it in half and just use a shorter portion...

Thanks again...all input appreciated...
Ed
Consider this, the inside of the brass tube is smooth, giving the black delrin sleeve a smooth insertion. Sanding or roughing up the brass eliminates this smoothmess and you are correct, it has something to GRAB, the delrin sleeve! I wouldn't sand.

The sleeve does not have to be as long as it is but without it the fountain nib could bang against the brass tube everytime you capped the pen and that;s not a good thing. The sleeve is long for a reason.

Pressing these large diameter, long tubes is just another reason I went to the Harbor Freight 1 ton arbor press. Sounded like total overkill when I first read about it two years ago but I have never used a pen press since. The arbor press has the power to quickly press couplings on, helping to eliminate the possibility of getting it cocked and cracking a blank.

I hate hearing about Amboyna burl going to waste, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a few NICE amboyna blanks.

WildcatHollow

Wally World...

Ed,

I had seen the reference to "Wally World" in several posts recently. I kept thinking to myself, "What a cool place, you can find everything there." I kept wondering why we didn't have one around here.

About a week ago, one of my daughters asked me what I wanted for Christmas. To make it as easy as I could for her, I told her to get me a Gift Card from Wal Mart.

She wrote back, "Wally World, Dad? Seriously? You're getting old."

Thus...you, too probably have a Wally World nearby.

t.

WildcatHollow

Assembling a Majestic

I just finished my first Majestic after having read this thread several times.

Here's what I found out:

1. Using the PSI milling bushings prevent the brass tubes from scoring, but they also prevent them from getting cleaned, so I ran them through with several cleaning patches. I put a little acetone on the patches. I cleaned them until they were relatively spotless and shiny.

2. To me, the smoother and cleaner they are, the easier it's going to be seating the delrin, so I don't think I'd either sand the inside or run a gun cleaning brush through it. On the other hand, I've only been at this for a month, so far be it for me to contradict the more experienced in the forum.

3. I did notice a burr formed on the inside of the tube at each end after milling. I could feel it with my finger. I smoothed it using a dowel wrapped with 600 grit sandpaper. I made sure that I didn't scar the inside of the tube while I removed the burr.

4. Finally, just before I pressed the delrin into the brass, I rubbed some beeswax on the delrin, then smoothed it with a clean cotton cloth.

I use a PSI pen press, and held my breath when I did it.

It went in fine and smooth with progressively greater pressure towards the end, but I never felt I was putting enough pressure to cause my acrylic blank to crack.

I've posted a picture of the finished pen here:
1_DSC_0024.jpg

Good luck.

Let me know if you have any questions about what I did.

Regards,

t.

Noah

Nice job Toby... Looks great...
I've not gotten back to my Majestic's... but did run some brushes through some tubes and the finish inside was outstanding... so I'll try that for sure next time...
I think the beeswax or some type of lube is a good idea...
When salvaging my cracked upper, I used my Dremel with a cutoff wheel and layer by layer cut through the wood then brass... when the brass finally cut completely there was an audible "pop"... must have been under a lot of pressure...
I did save one set though... :)

I have ruined two nice Amboyna burl tops for my Majestic Pens...
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong...?

The attached photo shows Center Band Assembly (CBA) in two pieces; however, the plastic portion supplied is a single piece...
Instructions say to press the assembly into the CBA into the Upper Tube...
Thanks in advance...
Ed

Some kits the instructions do show two pieces but the parts are assembled when you get the kit.. or at least have been sorta put together... otherwise you may be short a piece of your kit.

Top Bottom