Majestic Jr Pen kit tube fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hagemierj

Hey guys, have a quick question regarding the Majestic Jr. starter kit from PSI. I recently bought the kit and made the pen. Using the 12.5mm drill bit that came with the kit (for the upper barrel), I was shocked to see that the tube was floating in the hole (hole was oversized).

For all of you long time forum members... is this something that others have seen happen? This is a first for me.

Thanks,

J

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Several possibilities:

Did you measure the actual tube diameter?
The hole diameter?
The drill bit diameter?

What was the difference between them?
What do you think it should be?

Once we know this, we can discuss and yes, there have been instances when I disagree with the hole size that a manufacturer puts in their instructions.

hagemierj

Didn't measure tube or hole. Just used excessive amount of glue and ran with it. I was just happy that it looks like I wasn't going to lose one of my better blanks to the issue. The tube fit the bushings just fine. I did check the bit before use, I normally do that the first time I use one... no issues there.

J

sbell111

The drill bit sizes listed in the directions are frequently wrong, in my opinion. They either leave you with a tight hole that will squeegee the glue off your tube or leave you with a hole in which your tube will swim around. It's far better to choose the proper bit yourself.

I keep a selection of cutoffs drilled with various sized bits nearby to let me trial fit the tubes when I make a new kit. Then I scribble the selected sizes on the instructions for future reference.

Top Bottom