Majestic Fountain Pen - What is This?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dachshund1

This may turn out to be one of the dumber questions I've asked :redface:, but here goes:

I just turned my first full-size fountain pen, a PSI Majestic, out of black/gold tru-stone. It turned out very nice; a pretty substantial instrument, to be sure.

At any rate, I was unable to discern a use for this white plastic part (see attached image) - and the instructions provided no guidance.

Is this merely a disposable sleeve to protect the nib in shipping - or does it have some other use? Since it's threaded on one end, I suspect the latter, but haven't been able to figure it out. It doesn't seem to mate with any other threads.

In advance, thanks much.

Terry

Attachments

• Majestic Whatsis.jpg
    Majestic Whatsis.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, in current "kits" this part is disposable.

At one time, there were pens with "press-on" caps, instead of threaded "twist-on" types. Pieces like the white piece were inserted into the cap and screwed in place. They "grabbed" the end of the nib to keep the cap on.

With screw-on caps (the design that emerged as nearly universal), the white piece is not used.

Hope this clarifies it, for you and many others who have asked this question, in phone calls.

Top Bottom