Majestic Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodman

Hi I made a Majestic Fountain Pen last night, crafted from Amboyna Burl. Its my first Majestic I finished it with Shellawax but I am going to try the CA finish next pen (today). I also has Minwax Tung Oil like I use on my Bowls. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. The Pic are a little blury I am going to retake them after. Thanks Mark

Attachments

• majesticfountainpenamboyna 1.jpg
    majesticfountainpenamboyna 1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 155
  • majesticfountainpenamboyna.jpg
    majesticfountainpenamboyna.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 149

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Mark!!
Congratulations on posting your first pen!!

The fit looks great and, as you said, the picture focus makes it hard to evaluate the finish.

You should post your pen pictures in "Show off your pen" forum, though. You will get more comments, since many members read (well, like Playboy--you look at the pictures and read when you get time) the SOYP, first.

KenV

I use shellawax on the christmas ornaments I have been turning -- it makes a good looking finish for things which will not be handled much. Works well for a display pen, but it does not last very long on a working pen.

Miniwas Tung Oil is a "wiping varnish" as I remember, and will provide a base coat with a buffing system. Probably more lasting than Shellawax on a working pen, but not really good.

Even a CA finish will have wear and tear as a serious working pen. My most-every-day pen for the last 1700 days is a cigar with white oak burl -- and it will be getting a refinish this winter. It is a black Ti that shows copper/brass at the edges on finial, center band, and tip. Those are marks of distinction for a long life of labor and with premium refills, there is none that writes better.

Good looking pen -- that hopefully will become a proud display item -- perhaps because it signed a special document.

Top Bottom