Majestic drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RosezPenZ

I need to make one majestic pen. No plans to do more. It calls for a 15/32 and 37/64. For you that make them do yo think I could get by with a 9/16 (that's 1/64) smaller and a 1/2 (that's 1/32 larger). I just have a hard time investing $18 more into the project.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

For the half inch, I would say no. However, the 9/16 moght be okay. I would test it on scrap wood first. If you have a bit a little smaller than the lower tube, you can use a rat tail file to open it up.

I would buy the drills. You may not have immediate plans to do another, but you never know. Besides, it might be used in some other future projects.
Just my 2 cents.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Do you have the tubes in hand? can you mic them and see what they really measure? Most tubes are slightly undersized for the stated size they are supposed to be.

Andrew_K99

Per the library article, the upper tube is 0.571" and the lower tube is 0.450"

9/16" = 0.5625" ... so it'll be too small.
1/2" = 0.5000" ... this is 0.0500" larger than the tube.

Further, the lower barrel shows a diameter at the small end of 0.570", using the 1/2" bit would leave the blank 0.035" [0.9mm] thick. The 15/32" bit leaves the blank 0.0506" [1.3mm] thick.

AK

Brooks803

I wish I knew this earlier! I could have sent some to you with your earlier package. Back when I was buying from PSI I bought several kit "kits" and have multiple bits.

edstreet

You should not be buying the drill bits for each kit. Instead get the 115 count drill bit set, they run about $35 or so, plus shipping. You should be good for any pen you ever work on. It is black oxide set and they do wear out but if you treat them right they will last you for a very very long time. In those sets you get #1-#60, A-Z, 1/16-1/2"

Last edited:

ctubbs

If you do buy the big set of bits, I recommend you also pick up a Drill Doctor to sharpen them. Dull bits are among the worst thing you can do to a blank, especially an acrylic one. If you are going to use drill bits for anything, you will need to sharpen then anyway so go ahead and bite the bullet and get one.
As always, YMMV. As for bushings, it is not that hard to make your own or use a caliper. Bushings from many suppliers are well known to not be the exact size and after a few sandings are almost guaranteed to be wrong. We have a few vendors that make great bushings so if you do need them, check our vendors out.
Charles

EricJS

I wish I knew this earlier! I could have sent some to you with your earlier package. Back when I was buying from PSI I bought several kit "kits" and have multiple bits.

That's how I purchased mine. PSI sells the majestic black TN/Rhodium with bits, bushings, & sleeves for the same price as the pen kit by itself. In both full size and Jr.:wink:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'd say, unless you plan on a lot of other drilling - buy the bits because most of the bits in that set you will never in this lifetime have a use for. I predrill for a lot of work using wood screws #6/#8/#19/#12 screws are about the only ones I use...now and then #7 sneaks in as a hidden screw
and once in a blue moon a smaller or larger. I use 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 bolts for thru bolts and or lag bolts. If you buy the cheap set, you'll find that you are always replacing the same 8 or 10 sizes so you're always buying new bits anyway.

Now that's from one who owns two complete sets - but then when I bought them I did do a lot of drilling and used a lot more sizes than I do now.

RosezPenZ

Thanks guys, I knew you all would come thru with ideas for me. Andrew thanks for the numbers, I was just thinking I wish I knew the tube sizes. Now that I think about it I've got a smaller set of HB drill bits, I'll look thru it. It was a 1/16 - 1/2 Set I think. I used to be pretty good at hand sharpening bits and I was thinking about trying it again now that I have a good grinder. Don't worry, I'll start out with bits I don't really use or need. ;)) Lol
Jonathon, I may take you up on that still.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks guys, I knew you all would come thru with ideas for me. Andrew thanks for the numbers, I was just thinking I wish I knew the tube sizes. Now that I think about it I've got a smaller set of HB drill bits, I'll look thru it. It was a 1/16 - 1/2 Set I think. I used to be pretty good at hand sharpening bits and I was thinking about trying it again now that I have a good grinder. Don't worry, I'll start out with bits I don't really use or need. ;)) Lol
Jonathon, I may take you up on that still.
BTW - your local hardware store probably has the bits you need - maybe for less than you can buy them from the vendors here.

randyrls

You should not be buying the drill bits for each kit. Instead get the 115 count drill bit set, they run about $35 or so, plus shipping. You should be good for any pen you ever work on. It is black oxide set and they do wear out but if you treat them right they will last you for a very very long time. In those sets you get #1-#60, A-Z, 1/16-1/2"

I will add to what Ed said. I often find that the suggested drill bit isn't the best match to the tube size. I believe that the companies pick the closest commonly available size drill bit, not the best fit.

I always start with a smaller drill than specified and move up as needed, then write the correct bit size on the instructions. You can find several drill bit size charts in the Library and these will help you sort out the true drill bit sizes. Also your drilling set up makes a difference in what size bit works best for you.

Top Bottom