Majestic Blank Size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Frog Morton

I will be making a Majestic pen soon (full size, not the Jr.) and would like to know if it can be done using a 3/4" blank.

I see that a 7/8 blank is called for, but I have a particular blank that I would like to use, and sadly it is only 3/4".

I seem to recall reading that some have used a 3/4 on the Majestic, but I thought I would post and see if anyone can confirm that it is possible.

I would hate to waste a $15 blank trying to find out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The largest diameter is .576" according to the instructions and bushing sizes shown.

Of course, 3/4 inch is .75, so you have a little under a tenth of an inch "leeway".

If you have the equipment to drill straight (I suggest a pilot hole to minimize chances of "blow up"), this can be done.

ONLY YOU know if you can do it!!

Best of luck!!!!
Ed

magpens

Here's a table that I find very useful in making that kind of decision.

You'll see in the last 2 lines on page 11 of the table that the biggest bushing for the Majestic is 0.650" diameter.

The larger of the 2 required drills is 37/64" = 0.578".

For "perfect drilling" you're leaving only (0.750" - 0.578")/2 = 0.086" maximum wall thickness before you insert the tube and turn. And this assumes that your blank has no dimension smaller than 0.750".

So you don't have much room to spare. You'd have to be VERY accurate in your drilling. And even with extremely accurate drilling, you have only (0.750" - 0.650")/2 = 0.050" maximum left on the radius for turning any kind of shape to the cap other than straight-sided.

Be sure to let us know what you decide and how you make out. Drilling with a stubby drill on a lathe would be your best alternative.

Attachments

• bushings and tubes.pdf
    200.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

randyrls

I will be making a Majestic pen soon (full size, not the Jr.) and would like to know if it can be done using a 3/4" blank.

As Ed Said, "Only if you know you can do it". One way to try it out is to drill a scrap blank. Measure the distance from one surface to the edge of the hole. Now measure the same distance at the other end of the blank on the same surface to the edge of the hole. Repeat for one other surface at 90 degrees to the original surface. *IF* all measurements are within that same 1/10" dimension of the starter hole then you *CAN* do it.

PS. I have done this, but I use a precision milling machine to drill blanks.

Is this an acrylic blank or a wood blank?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Here's a table that I find very useful in making that kind of decision.

You'll see in the last 2 lines on page 11 of the table that the biggest bushing for the Majestic is 0.650" diameter.

The larger of the 2 required drills is 37/64" = 0.578".

So you don't have much room to spare. You'd have to be VERY accurate in your drilling. And even with extremely accurate drilling, you have only (0.750" - 0.650")/2 = 0.050" on the radius for turning.

Be sure to let us know what you decide and how you make out. Drilling with a stubby drill on a lathe would be your best alternative.

THIS IS CORRECT!!!

My source turned out to be the JUNIOR instructions!!!!

This makes it MORE difficult----for SURE!!!

Frog Morton

Many thanks for the information guys, it is very helpful.

The blank I was hoping to use (wooden blank) is a tad less than 3/4" in certain areas, so it looks like I will not be using it on the Majestic.

I do drill my blanks on the lathe and have had excellent results, but this appears to be cutting things much closer than I would be comfortable with, so I shall simply choose a different blank for the project.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful replies.

SS

if there is a specific specie of wood your are looking for in 7/8 perhaps throw it out there on the WTB section. There are plenty of people who cut 7/8 blanks so perhaps one of them has what you are looking for. I rarely make the smaller pens any more so I generally cut 7/8 blanks unless someone specifically asks me to cut 3/4 blanls.

Frog Morton

if there is a specific specie of wood your are looking for in 7/8 perhaps throw it out there on the WTB section. There are plenty of people who cut 7/8 blanks so perhaps one of them has what you are looking for. I rarely make the smaller pens any more so I generally cut 7/8 blanks unless someone specifically asks me to cut 3/4 blanls.

Thank you for that suggestion, SS.

The blank I was hoping to use is one of the bog oak blanks from the "Fens of England" that are often sold with the small certificate of authenticity. This would have special meaning to the recipient, so that is why I wished to use it.

I've always assumed that these were only available in .75 inch cuts, does anyone know if they can be found in other sizes?

Top Bottom