Maintenance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carrick

Hello From Washington State...

I'm pretty new in the major scheme of things. I have been turning for approx. eight months. I have a Jet Mini Lathe, Small Craftsman Drill Press, Tabel Saw, and Miter Saw that I used to do all my work. The thing is I have not sharpened my gouges in the eight months (yes, as you can imagine they're awful to work with right now), or lubricated my tools either. So, does anyone have recommendations for sharpening. I have a spindle gouge, parting gouge, and a fingernail gouge that I use.

All recommendations on how to conduct maintenance and recommended periodicity is greatly appreciated. Any links to recommendations are great too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If you have a grinder, you can use that. Or if you need to invest in somthing you can get a slow speed wet grinder resonably. Best thing to do as far as learning how to properly sharpen the tools is to watch a video or go visit one of the local woodworking clubs and they would probably show you.

PaulDoug

Lot of people like the oneway wolverine sharpening setup and the delta grinder. Check out Woodcraft or Craft Supply.

I made my own.

And, welcome from another Washingtonion. Please check out Pacific Northwest Pen Turners Assco at PNPTA.org. Love to have you join there also.

ldb2000

Welcome from Central New Jersey
You should sharpen your tools often as you can , on some materials I will touch up my skew several times a night to keep a scary sharp edge to work with .
Keeping your tools sharp has several advantages , first it makes turning down a blank much easier , second if your tool shears the wood there is less of a chance that you will get "dig ins" and "blow outs" , third if you use a skew you will get a cleaner cut and will have alot less sanding to do and lastly a dull tool is also a dangerous tool to use .
A note about which tools to use I find (imho) that a very sharp skew is the best tool for finish cuts when making pens . I use a gouge for roughing cuts but then switch to a scary sharp skew to make my final cuts and almost never have to sand with anything less then 320 grit .
As for where to find videos on sharpening and almost anything else goto you tube and just do a search for the topic you want , here is one search for sharpening lathe tools ; http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sharpening+lathe+tools&search_type=
hope this helps you have more fun at the lathe

Carrick

Paul and Butch,

Thanks for the responses. I've noticed a great response to questions from Newbies on this site. I appreciate your "honest opinion", because the people that use the tools is the best reference instead of relying on the ads and website who sell it. I will look at a skew and I'll check out the website tonight. I was wondering where the Pen Turners Assoc. was around here. Once again, many thanks. As always all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Pat Tummins

M

monkeynutz

Based on the chisels you use, a slow or wet grinder with a Wolverine jig would be better for you than the eyeball method, while a Tormek or Jet setup would be the optimum, but maybe too expensive. However, if you have been working for 8 months without any sharpening, I would suggest that your first move should be to a sharpening service, so that you can get the proper shape back on your tools, and can just maintain the edge for a while as you get used to your own new equipment, whatever that may be.

marionquill

I just use a couple water stones to sharpen everything, only takes 30 to 90 seconds to get them all plenty sharp and the stones only cost $10. Of course, a grinder would only take 5 seconds but I like the practice...
You should sharpen the tools daily, often after each pen and sometimes multiple times on one pen, depending on the material you're turning. A good guide on acrylic's is that if they aren't producing long ribbons on each cut it's time to sharpen (or cool the blank, dipping the tool in water seems to work well). For wood, if it's not flying off with ease, it's time to sharpen.

Put some wax or grease on the lathe bed once a month. WD-40 works well enough on the drill press and what not, but don't put it where it'll contact the wood or drip on it.

Jason

Carrick

Great Suggestions, Folks...Now the Sharpening Services...Such as Woodcraft or ROckler...or wood shop? I will try your suggestions tomorrow when I get off duty from the ship.

M

monkeynutz

Most towns of decent size have at least one place that specializes in the sharpening of knives and tools. Most of them do saw blades, mower blades, and any number of things, including lathe tools. Some mom-and-pop type hardware stores do it also. I'd check for something local or in another town close by before sending them off somewhere, as the additional shipping costs and turnaround time can be objectionable, but you're only gonna do it once, to get your tools back to the proper shaping before you start doing your own, I presume, so maybe that extra time and inconvenience is not such a problem for you..

Carrick

PaulDoug,

Checked ou the PNPTA.ORG Joined Saturday Night. Is it a fairly new website? From a web admin and IT-type standpoint...looks sweet so far.

Pat

Top Bottom