Maine Pen Turners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dana Fish

A pleasure to find a few of you are local. I'm a pure newbie and was hoping to partner up with someone locally to learn a little more about the pen making process.

~LEAP.... your just down the road from me. Glad to find you. I'm just off from RTE.1 heading into Scarborough.

witz1976

A pleasure to find a few of you are local. I'm a pure newbie and was hoping to partner up with someone locally to learn a little more about the pen making process.

~LEAP.... your just down the road from me. Glad to find you. I'm just off from RTE.1 heading into Scarborough.

LOL yea you will find a bunch more turners down your way....better know as Northern Mass. to us folks in the woods LOL:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Dana Fish

LOL yea you will find a bunch more turners down your way....better know as Northern Mass. to us folks in the woods LOL:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Witz... there is nothing wrong with the Maine woods. I was born and raised between a pair of northern Maine hardwoods but now I live in south.

Nice collection of pens you have posted.

witz1976

Witz... there is nothing wrong with the Maine woods. I was born and raised between a pair of northern Maine hardwoods but now I live in south.

Nice collection of pens you have posted.

Nice, which pair up north? I go as far as Houlton up in the County. Nothing wrong with down south...other than the fact you guys can get to the store faster. :biggrin:

Hope to see some of your pens too!

Dana Fish

Just out side of Rangeley Lake.
Although I spend many of weekends in the Jackman region fly fishing for some native brookies :)

LEAP

Dana
do you go to the southern Maine Woodturners meetings, There is one tomorrow night at Rocklers at 6 pm.
Welcome to the Group, Anybody who likes fishing and woodturning is alright in my book.

Dana Fish

Dana
do you go to the southern Maine Woodturners meetings, There is one tomorrow night at Rocklers at 6 pm.
Welcome to the Group, Anybody who likes fishing and woodturning is alright in my book.

I haven't joined yet, but I think that I will next month. I'm working tomorrow night otherwise I would.

By the way... I'm also a homebrewer at heart as well.

witz1976

Dana

I haven't joined yet, but I think that I will next month. I'm working tomorrow night otherwise I would.

By the way... I'm also a homebrewer at heart as well.

Fantastic! Homebrewer & Woodturner heck you semm to be A-OK in my book too :biggrin:

SGM Retired

OK, I'm not from Maine but I do go up there often. My son married girl from and Maine and yes they live up in Minot, ME. I travel there 2 or 3 times a year and will be up week after next for my yearly snowmobile/ice fishing trip to Lake Chesuncook. Maine is nice to visit but, WOW, it's cold up there!!!! That's why I keep going back. Thanks for having a great state!! Gary

jtrusselle

Hey Dana,

Originally from Melrose, MA a short distance from Boston but been up in God's country since 1980. Yes, the winters are a challenge but it does help having a wood shop to turn products for sure!

Jim from South Berwick

LEAP

Never tried homebrewing, but it sounds like something I could take a likeing to. Of course with the rest of my expensive hobbies it might be a little hard to talk the boss into it. I'd gladly trade a few pen blanks for a pint or two!

Dana Fish

Never tried homebrewing, but it sounds like something I could take a likeing to. Of course with the rest of my expensive hobbies it might be a little hard to talk the boss into it. I'd gladly trade a few pen blanks for a pint or two!

Consider it a deal....

Blue Moon clone on tap along with a Spicy X-Mas Ale. Also a chocolate Stout chilling in the fridge ready for an empty tap.

Here is my fall Blue Moon clone (Mmmm tasty)...along with my homegrown hop plants in the back ground ;)

d08b3411.jpg

witz1976

Consider it a deal....

Blue Moon clone on tap along with a Spicy X-Mas Ale. Also a chocolate Stout chilling in the fridge ready for an empty tap.

Here is my fall Blue Moon clone (Mmmm tasty)...along with my homegrown hop plants in the back ground ;)

d08b3411.jpg

Ohh yum! Now I am gonna have to take pics of my beers...or just drink them LOL. Didn't know Maine was suitable to grow hops....hmmm

Lenny

Of course with the rest of my expensive hobbies it might be a little hard to talk the boss into it.

C'mon ... use your head! You just have to take the right approach. Once you have convinced her how much money you will save "brewing your own" you'll be all set! :biggrin:

At least until the first wort boils over on the kitchen stove! DAMHIKT :biggrin:

I used to home brew. My cousin got me into it. He actually did it to save money. :) He bought a brand of malt that was very inexpensive. Took the least amount of fuss with the process as possible, then on a lark entered a bottle in the Union Fair and won a ribbon. :)

witz1976

That is very true Lenny. Outside of about $80 - $100 on equipment, I can brew a 5 gallon (about 4 - 12 packs) batch of excellent beer for about $30 (thats 7.50 a 12 pack and did I mention it is excellent brew!!) I just finished a batch that cost me about $60 but this is really strong beer.

It is also a simple process. You will spend about an hour a week tops...most of the time is waiting.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Looks like we need to get some of these Maine folks to join us at one of the New England chapter meetings. We can even look into supplying a small bus for you to travel down in.

Lenny

My Dentist friend and I both got into it at the same time. He got right into adding the different steps with bags of hops etc.
I on the other hand kept it simple. One thing I always did though, was use malt and not sugar. Kept the sugar just for when it was time to bottle. Got very close to my favorite - Sam Adams.
One warning to anyone thinking about trying it though .... It will spoil you and you won't be able to drink the crappy stuff anymore. (although they do have funny commercials)

I gave up drinking 10 years ago so it kinda took the fun out of brewing! :biggrin:

LEAP

Looks like we need to get some of these Maine folks to join us at one of the New England chapter meetings. We can even look into supplying a small bus for you to travel down in.

I've made it to 4 meetings. Just very well seperated. I'd like to make more but that whole earning a living thing gets in the way.

LEAP

Consider it a deal....

d08b3411.jpg

I'll definately take you up on that, Heck I'll even let you pick the blanks. I had heard Maine was a good climate for hops but never met anyone who had actually tried growing them.

Top Bottom