Magnetic Vertex Rollerball Drill Size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kyaggie

Howdy all,

I've ordered a few Magnetic Vertex Rollerball kits (NOT the Vertex Supreme) but some of the reviews suggest that the 10.5 mm drill bit is a bit too large for the tube. For you Vertex makers, what do y'all think... is a 10.5 mm bit the correct drill bit to use or do you suggest a more appropriate size?

Thanks,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I've used 10.5 every time. I haven't check on whether a smaller bit would work any better as I haven't had a problem.

FYI - if you turn the pen to the bushings it ends up pretty darn thin on material.

You'll notice that there is a substantial bead on in the parts that press in so you can actually then the barrel thicker if you'd like.

I recently had some bushings made to a thicker size.

Last edited:

plantman

I've used 10.5 every time. I haven't check on whether a smaller bit would work any better as I haven't had a problem.

FYI - if you turn the pen to the bushings it ends up pretty darn thin on material.

You'll notice that there is a substantial bead on in the parts that press in so you can actually then the barrel thicker if you'd like.

I recently had some bushings made to a thicker size.

Mike; A 10.5mm = .413 inches or a Z size drill bit. I make a lot of Vertex pens and this has worked quite well. Depending on the actual tube size (they may not all be the same size) you my have to run the drill in and out of your blank several times on woods, or use a round rat file or sandpaper to slightly inlarge the hole size. On acrylics, after drilling, let your blank cool and than run your drill in again. Don't make your hole to small as it will starve the blank of glue when the tube is inserted. If you are going to buy a Z drill bit for $5-20, I would invest in the Harbor Freight 115 piece drill bit set which includes letters, number, and fractional bits. Use the 25% coupon. Jim S

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You can try these

The next smaller to 10.5mm in fractional bits is 13/32...it is .007 inch smaller. In Gauge sizes the letter Z is the next smaller size but it is only .0004 inch smaller and you'd probably not even notice the difference. The letter Y is a little smaller than 13/32.

If you think you need a smaller bit I'd try 13/32 first if it's too small you can always go back to the 10.5mm with no problem.

kyaggie

Dan, Jim and Smitty,

Thanks for the info and insight. I'll start with a 13/32" bit and see how the tube fits and then go from there. I'll also take Dan's advise and turn the barrel a bit proud of the bushings.

Thanks again,
Mike

randyrls

I've ordered a few Magnetic Vertex Rollerball kits (NOT the Vertex Supreme) but some of the reviews suggest that the 10.5 mm drill bit is a bit too large for the tube. For you Vertex makers, what do y'all think... is a 10.5 mm bit the correct drill bit to use or do you suggest a more appropriate size?

Mike; In the Library under "References" is a drill chart from HUT showing the drill sizes for Letter, Number, Fractional, and Metric drill bits.

I often find that the suggested drill bit is not the best fit. I usually start with an undersized bit and then work up until I get a good slip fit.

Top Bottom