Magnetic pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Magnetic Vertex Chrome Rollerball Pen

Has anyone done these pens and if so is it a good quality pen and what would you compare it to?? How long is the barrel that shows the blank?? Is it longer than a sierra. Thanks. Have to go see if I can find it in the pen charts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

John; I used to do a lot of the Magnetic Vertex in all finishes until the Vertex Supreme came out. I never liked the short single tube of them, the Gatsby, or the Sierra. The Sierra is 2 5/8ths the Gatsby is 2 1/2 inches, and the Vertex is 2 5/8 inches also. I think the rollerballs and ink pens are excellent writing pens for the money. They don't look as bad when posted and you have more plateing showing, however I always wanted my blank to be the main focal point. Just my ideas. Whatever you do, they always turn out great !!! Jim S

jttheclockman

John; I used to do a lot of the Magnetic Vertex in all finishes until the Vertex Supreme came out. I never liked the short single tube of them, the Gatsby, or the Sierra. The Sierra is 2 5/8ths the Gatsby is 2 1/2 inches, and the Vertex is 2 5/8 inches also. I think the rollerballs and ink pens are excellent writing pens for the money. They don't look as bad when posted and you have more plateing showing, however I always wanted my blank to be the main focal point. Just my ideas. Whatever you do, they always turn out great !!! Jim S

What is the Vertex Supreme and is that a longer tube???

plantman

John; The Vertex Supreme is a magnetic rollerball or fountain pen made by PSI. It has two tubes ( 10.5 and 12.5) and sells for $14.95 for Chrome with gold accents or Gun Metal. The matching fountain pen sells for $14.95 and also comes in Chrome with Gold accents and Gun Metal. They both come in 24k Gold for $16.95. They make very nice looking pieces that would realy show off the unique blanks such as you make. Both are excellent writers. The balance is great looking and feeling both posted or open. Jim S

Dan Masshardt

I snapped a quick photo of the tubes lined up for your comparison. The vertex is slightly longer but not much.

I've had great response / sales of the magnetic vertex with Bethlehem olive wood.

The kit overall seems of good quality to me. It is relatively simple. Easy to turn (but the material gets pretty thin on the tubes I you make it straight as I normally do.

Simple to assemble with small couplers pressed in. You can unscrew and change the direction of the pen if you like. I believe you can swap out rollerball and fountain options - haven't tried the fountain yet.

Te thing I compare it to in my mind is the zen because they are both single tubes with magnetic metal caps. The zen is much longer and I thought I would like it much better but I really like the vertex just as well.

Attachments

• image-3119124495.jpg
    image-3119124495.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 190

jttheclockman

I snapped a quick photo of the tubes lined up for your comparison. The vertex is slightly longer but not much.

I've had great response / sales of the magnetic vertex with Bethlehem olive wood.

The kit overall seems of good quality to me. It is relatively simple. Easy to turn (but the material gets pretty thin on the tubes I you make it straight as I normally do.

Simple to assemble with small couplers pressed in. You can unscrew and change the direction of the pen if you like. I believe you can swap out rollerball and fountain options - haven't tried the fountain yet.

Te thing I compare it to in my mind is the zen because they are both single tubes with magnetic metal caps. The zen is much longer and I thought I would like it much better but I really like the vertex just as well.

There you go. That is what I wanted to see. Sometimes it is hard to tell from photos what a kit really looks like unless it is against another. That is no longer than a Sierra. So the only difference is the magnets. I was looking for something with a longer barrel. I just ordered some Zen pens from CSUSA. I understand about their magnet problem but will see what I can do with them.

Thanks for the comparison photos.

jttheclockman

Quick shot of vertex vs zen

Definetly the difference I am looking for. Not a fan of the nb end but will see how it feels to write with. Just need some more area for some different blank ideas. One of these days I have to get into customizing some kits. I am sure that can be done too. Thanks again.

Russianwolf

If you don't mind a screw cap over the magnetic, then the Stretch Fountain/Rollerball is another option. It's based on the Jr. Gent II series so uses the same bushings, but the one piece barrel is much longer than the lower on the Jr. Gent.

jttheclockman

If you don't mind a screw cap over the magnetic, then the Stretch Fountain/Rollerball is another option. It's based on the Jr. Gent II series so uses the same bushings, but the one piece barrel is much longer than the lower on the Jr. Gent.

Where can you find this pen??? Now all these suggestions come up. I asked this question just recently:)

I really do not care if it magnetic or screw type. Just looking for a longer barrel. Alot of these pens have such long areas in back of the pen where the cap screws on and it seems a waste.

Do you have any photos???

Thanks.

jttheclockman

You started out magnetic - which the zen is my preference.

However if you want long - another good choice IMO is the long click : Clicker Pen Kit (Long)

It's a Parker, not a rollerball, but it is great for showing lots of blank

I did start out magnetic is correct and that was because someone showed that pen and it looked good and it looked like it had a long barrel from their photos. I could not find the kit in the info in the library. But other suggestions have now come up.

I asked just recently about a long barrel pens and did get many responses. I came to conclusion that I will try the Zen which I mentioned I just ordered a few to try. I am always open for more suggestions. Not looking for a click pen though. I personally do not like them. Seems cheap to me.

Thanks all.

jttheclockman

John, here's where I found the stretch. Both roller and fountain.
Lau Lau Penkits — "THE STRETCH" ROLLERBALL

OK yes now I remember that one coming up in the discussion when I asked about long barrel pens. Skip mentioned and in fact he showed comparisons between it and the Zen. He thought the threads on the end were a problem. I may have to order one or 2 to give them a try also. I will wait for the Zen to come in and look these over.

Again thanks for the replys.

eliasbboy

I made a bunch of the vertex pens for a corporate order with labels. I had a problem with 4 or 5 caps. The magnets were not set exactly and the caps were either too loose or would not attach at all.

I had to disassemble the caps to reseat them.

That being said, I like the kits a lot, as well as the zen.

Here's a pic of a few I made awhile back, just to show different blanks.

644005_292742530840532_1795548145_n.jpg

John the Desire has the same diameter tubes and the Jr. Gent 2 but the lower tube is quite a bit longer than the Jr. Gent 2. My favorite hardware is the Jr. Gent 2 by far and away. It is a simple design that lets your work shine not the hardware. This is my staple hardware. I also use a lot of Atrax because of its simplicity and the hardware doesn't take away from what I have done with the blank. The desire also has a much thicker blank material after turning.

Russianwolf

OK yes now I remember that one coming up in the discussion when I asked about long barrel pens. Skip mentioned and in fact he showed comparisons between it and the Zen. He thought the threads on the end were a problem. I may have to order one or 2 to give them a try also. I will wait for the Zen to come in and look these over.

Yep, that's it. also the "Dayacom Rollerball" that Timberbits has I think which is the same kit.

the short threads I never had an issue with. It's only for posting the pen, the coupler up by the nib it longer. You can also swap the posting end with either the posting or non-posting ends from a Jr. Gent II since they are the same diameter.

One trick I used when I was turning more pens was to use the tubes from a Panache for the Jr. Gent/Statesman. People with larger hands really appreciated the extra length in the pen body that that gives.

jttheclockman

Yep, that's it. also the "Dayacom Rollerball" that Timberbits has I think which is the same kit.

the short threads I never had an issue with. It's only for posting the pen, the coupler up by the nib it longer. You can also swap the posting end with either the posting or non-posting ends from a Jr. Gent II since they are the same diameter.

One trick I used when I was turning more pens was to use the tubes from a Panache for the Jr. Gent/Statesman. People with larger hands really appreciated the extra length in the pen body that that gives.

I like those suggestions. I am going to have to look into this. I have not really gotten into switching parts for kits yet and things like that. That is something I am going to have to explore. Thanks.

John the Desire has the same diameter tubes and the Jr. Gent 2 but the lower tube is quite a bit longer than the Jr. Gent 2. My favorite hardware is the Jr. Gent 2 by far and away. It is a simple design that lets your work shine not the hardware. This is my staple hardware. I also use a lot of Atrax because of its simplicity and the hardware doesn't take away from what I have done with the blank. The desire also has a much thicker blank material after turning.

Mike I have some of the Desire kits on order and should get them probably tomorrow. I want to use them for some blanks I have been casting. That came from a previous question I posted and I think it was you that suggested them. So I am waiting for those as well. Thanks.

Top Bottom